Short term memory gone but has times of cognition when responses are appropriate but later forgets conversation.

Grandma does this all the time. Right after she eats, she'll say that we haven't fed her in days.
Reply to needtowashhair

Thank you TNechie, I now have a small basket with snacks in separate sandwich bags. I refill it daily next to recliner for easy access. Crackers, cheezits, corncurls, apples, pears, oranges, raisins etc. Works well.
Reply to jrwalk

Yes indeed there is! - and in a funny sort of way your question makes me feel relieved all over again that it wasn't just us, then!

The most memorable occasion was when my mother asked reproachfully "are we *having* supper tonight?" while I was still in the act of clearing the dining table.

A hot drink, or a glass of milk, something that takes a while to get through anyway, might assuage your mother's hunger pangs.
jrwalk Mar 14, 2019
Thank you, Countrymouse, was this at the beginning or mid stage of dementia?
(0)
Ahh! I think that I now know the reasons many independent and assisted living places always has popcorn available.

Dementia has many impacts on eating: resistant to eating anything, resistant to formerly favorite foods, only wanting to eat a particular or limited selection of foods, and wanting to eat all the time. I suggest trying to find a relatively low calorie filling food your LO likes and offer it for these after meals cravings. Apples and other fruit, popcorn, cucumbers, watermelon are a few examples. Although milk shakes are a little higher in the calorie count, there are often very filling and appreciated.
Reply to TNtechie