She screams some choice words if I prick and I'm fed up.

Thank you,

Thank you all- I will ask the Dr.
Reply to wearynow

Depending on your moms other medical conditions Insulin Pump might be an option. The patches that are placed at the back of the arm and can be monitored and checked on your phone are another. But if your mom has dementia neither would be an option as the tendency would be to rip them out or off.
Reply to Grandma1954

Yes, there are new ways, but they involve patches that must stay on, and fairly sophisticated coordination. Also because they are new drug companies have them in the very expensive class of drugs still in patent. Sometimes drug companies will help with payment in need. Ask your doctor; best place to start in these things.

Raise this issue with the doctor who treats her for diabetes.   I've never dealt with diabetes but my father went through the finger pricking routine regularly to get blood for PT/INR evaluation and monitoring.  A small machine was used that didn't seem to cause discomfort, but I've never been pricked by a machine; tree thorns attack me whenever I get near them, and the thorns are worse than needles.

That sounds dreadful. I'd hate it too. But I don't think there's any way to check blood sugar without, you know, blood.

I've seen some testers where the person pricks (I guess) their arm instead.
Reply to LoopyLoo