Is there a list of facilities that DO ACCEPT dementia patients who can and do react violently? - AgingCare.com

Is there a list of facilities that DO ACCEPT dementia patients who can and do react violently?

I hope this discussion is still active. Wonderful woman, my wife, but she can react to something she does not like and attack other dementia patients at facility I live in 24/7 with her, but impossible to keep up with her all the time to prevent "problems."

5

Answers

Thanks to all for the input!
Reply to PaulBern

The first step is to get your wife's agitation under control. She should be seen by a geriatric psychiatrist to have her medication adjusted. The other place that can adjust meds is a geri psychiatric hospital. Talk to your doc
Reply to jjariz

There are psychiatric hospitals that have dementia wards. Their purpose is to find the right combination of meds to keep her calm. Once achieved then it will open doors to nursing homes.. Which state are you living in so that other posters may be able to help you

I'm not sure what type of facility where you live with her now, but, I would explore Memory Care facilities as well as discussing her behavior with her doctor and asking for a referral to a geriatric psychiatrist, after ruling out other medical causes as stated above. Sometimes, anxiety, confusion, delusions and hallucinations may cause a person who has dementia to act out, but, there are techniques to work with those residents to help them. I would also explore medication as a treatment. Depending on the severity, she may need inpatient care to adjust medication. Medical and mental health professionals should be able to offer advice on this.
Reply to Sunnygirl1

Paul, I hope the facility where you and your wife are currently living would have such a list available.

Before thinking about placing your wife in a different facility, take your wife to her primary doctor to ask about pills that could calm her down. Hopefully the first prescription will work, but don't be surprised if it doesn't, and something else would need to be prescribed. Sometimes it can take a month for a prescription to start working.

Another thing, have your wife checked for a Urinary Tract Infection. Such an infection in someone older can cause that person to act violent.