Is there a facility (home) for gay men or women?

Just came out, need something locally.

22

Answers

1 2 3
blannie, My husband did not especially like the lunches served at his day care program. One day he asked for a vegetarian plate. He thought it was much better, so he always got vegetarian after that. Other participants noticed that his plate looked nicer and fresher, and suddenly they were serving many vegetarian lunches! :)

I think you will do fine (for meals anyway) at any care center you might need. They'll keep track of your preferences. I realize that won't mean you'll be surrounded by people who share your views, of course.

freqflyer: that's nice, i just can't wait that long...being 57, i'm gonna be in need of it before the younger generation gets old! hahaha :)

I believe once the younger generation gets to become elderly and need to go into assisted living or nursing homes, there won't be a need to find separate facilities.

I can see why a gay person would like to be around other gay people. Sexual orientation is a key part of a person's day-to-day life, so wanting to be around others who share/understand your orientation is totally understandable to me.

I'm a vegetarian and believe me, I'd love to be around other vegetarians if I ever have to go to a facility. Where my mom lives, I'd be hard-pressed to eat 90% of the food they serve, since I'd want vegetarian/vegan options for every meal. And I wouldn't want to have to explain myself every time I sat down to eat.

Interesting question and I never thought about it before.

Thank you for the question. It would be nice if you would submit some sort of a reason as to why you would want this kind of facility, your feelings, etc. I'd love to read it. I'm thinking this is NOT about sex.

I would reccommend any gay senior to go into facilities that are geared toward the lgbt community. Otherwise you or your loved will be at the mercy of those involved who are taking care of you. There will be no one standard that is routinely upheld to treat a gay senior with respect and dignity and allow them all their residents rights.

I'd like to see an end to people feeling unwelcome, too, Maggie; but on the other hand people like to be with like-minded people, and sexuality can be part of that. You don't go to gay bars just so's you won't get arrested any more, thank God; but they still exist because the ambience is different and sometimes that's what you want. Roll on the day when it's a cultural choice like any other.

Matthew Paris, journalist and former politician who's been out forever, would make you chuckle - he described his shock on bantering (nicely - he's a complete gentleman) with an airline steward and getting blanked. You can't rely on anything nowadays!

Some day we'll realize there's no point to asking that question. Sooner rather than later, I hope.

Contact the Gay Alliance of the Genesee Valley, 875 E Main St #500, Rochester, NY 14605, Phone: (585) 244-8640. If there are any facilities near Freeport, NY (I used to live there too!), they should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Carebill I do know that lots of gay men like sport - including, for example, the former Captain of the Welsh Rugby Team, Gareth Thomas. I'm just thinking of where a poor chap's to go if he'd rather stick red hot needles in his eyes than discuss the offside rule.

PS and lots of lesbians DON'T like hiking and do wear mascara..!

1 2 3