Is there a cost effective way to get my Mom additional care?

My mom was recently discharged from a skilled nursing facility and requires more care than what Medicare will pay and what our family can do. We need a home health aide to come in more than 3 times a week for an hour and a half.What are my options? I live in the Fairfield County area of CT.

23

Answers

1 2 3
Pat, I heard you mention purchasing adult diapers off of Craigslist, but have you looked at thrift stores? We have several near us, actually attached and run by our local Senior Centers, and they always have a surplus of A Diapers on the shelfs, perhaps you could speak to the manager, who could hold them for y6. Just a thought! Take care!

Have you applied for Medicaid?

Pat, have you looked into a medicaid waiver program? Many states have them and they will cover more care. How about VA is either one a vet? Also contact your Area Agency on Aging they may help with more resources in your area and supplies. It is very hard and I agree the system is broken.

Relief for those who AREN'T dirt poor but not even middle class. We're struggling to keep them afloat and out of any facility but it is hard to make ends meet. I'm running around buying diapers off of craigslist and rushing home so the weekly pay won't be too much for caregivers that help us out. Anyway. This system really needs to be revamped to offer relief for hardworking caregivers sandwiched with work responsibilities and providing nursing home care at home for aging parents

I'm in the same boat. My mom was discharged from skilled facility in Aug 2014and ever since then we are footing the bill to keep her at home. Medicare will only cover 2 hrs a week of an aide and 1 hr with a nurse. Siblings and I are paying for diapers gloves ointments care during the day while we work and my dad broke his hip in dec 2014 and also has needed care with diapers. We can not afford $10-$12 hr for 40 hrs week so we get them someone to come in 2 hrs in morning and two in afternoon and I rush home after work. Wish Medicare would provide some relief to those who are dirt poor (Medicaid eligible) but who are providing care to keep them from nursing homes. When they're in nursing home they get diapers gloves ointments covered but the moment they send u home you have to foot the bill even if it is medically necessary to wear diapers. I don't get it. Can't understand how they can cover diabetic supplies and catheters but not diapers -those require you to be on Medicaid and 2 hrs a week with CNA to help around house is so little for seniors that can no longer do for Themselves. People are actually financially encouraged to institutionalize their loved ones rather than keep them at home. Makes no sense

If an elderly person loses all his assets to a con man (possibly even one who is a relative) or in a law suit how can a home deny them care paid for by Medicaid? Surely there must be some safety net for the elderly who, for whatever reason, do not qualify for Medicaid. Surely all disabled and elderly people are given food, medical care and shelter in this country. If they aren't, they should be.

Thereisnotry, if you have VA A&A you can hire anyone you want to do the care, even family. You just need to 1099 them at end of year incase your file gets audited and also incase you ever need medicaid. We tried in home care for my mom but could not do it so now her VA benefits pay for her Adult Family Care Home which is wonderful!

ADCaregiver, as someone who has considered a private hire rather than an agency, not necessarily under the table, it has more logical basis. The nursing care that will be covered by some govt programs is actually more skilled than we require. They won't cover in home care unless the patient needs changing or feeding. We need someone to be there simply because he can change on a dime and we need someone there in the event of an emergency and to also keep him company, a companion. VA only wants to provide skilled nursing care and when they come there is nothing for them to do.

My opinions reflect my personal experience with agencies. When my Dad got sick, he did not want to go to a nursing home. I tried all the agencies in the area. Seniors Helping Seniors sounded good for $15/hr but they never had anyone available. Most agencies require 20 hours and don't help people who only need 4. I never suggested not paying people a living wage. I just prefer to pay my friends a fair wage in cash, and they benefit from all the free tax and legal advice they need. If they don't have a power of attorney or living will, I prepare those documents and charge them nothing. The agency I hired to help with getting groceries up a flight of steps (the condo we owned had no elevator) sent a lady who hated climbing stairs. All the people sent by the agencies in the Pompano Beach area were not interested in doing any of the work I wanted help with -- cleaning, laundry, cooking, bathing Mom, and they had ZERO skills at dealing with dementia patients. When the agencies failed, we put Dad in the Five Star Premiere assisted living because they had gourmet food. After a year, they told us to move him out because he is too much work for them. We transferred him to a nearby assisted living facility but it was like a jail. They had a porch to sit on but because of the ramp, I could not get the wheelchair outside safely and the $9/hour staff members did not want to bother. They ignored all the difficult patients. I tried getting a volunteer to keep my mother company, but they sent an uneducated person who my mother could not relate to at all and I had to apologize for my mother's behavior (she kept telling her to leave -- that she does not want company). Then, I tried the agencies. Seniors Helping Seniors offered me help for $15/hour. I accepted. They could not find anyone to do the job because I only needed help once a week. The other agencies sent women who do not speak fluent English or they speak with a heavy Haitian or Jamaican accent and my mother wants a white Jewish CNA. Could not find that for her. So I decided to take things into my own hands. I hired a neighbor to help with driving to doctors, a disabled nurse to take her to get her hair done and do a tiny bit of grocery shopping (nothing too heavy), and a wonderful retired nurse who is 65 and spent her whole life working in nursing homes. She is an angel. She used to work for an agency and had all the necessary background checks....as well as the knowledge a nurse would have. I pay her a fair wage and if she asks for more hours so she can make more money, I will help her with that. She isn't just a nurse, she is a HHA, CNA, nurse, and friend rolled into one. I am not saying that all the people who work for agencies are bad employees. I'm just saying that your love one will get better care from a friend you trust than from a stranger who barely speaks English.

Sweaping statements like those beverly made are not true. And yes you can find good caring people in both private and agencies. Saying ONLY family can provide good care is very insulting to all the hard working caregivers out there. Don't lump everyone in a big batch, do your homework that is what any reasonable person would do. And the post above has conflicting statements throughout.

1 2 3