Is it legal for a daughter to refuse to seek medical care for her mother that is having what I'm sure is mini strokes? - AgingCare.com

Is it legal for a daughter to refuse to seek medical care for her mother that is having what I'm sure is mini strokes?

33

Answers

1 3 4
Tracy, thanks so much for coming back and telling us the outcome. You sound like an extraordinary caregiver!

Thank you Lorraine2, I love my clients.

Tracy 3;I am so very happy for you to have been able to help your patient. I know this must make you feel so much better ,liveing proof of how caregivers need to go above and beyond at times.You are an angel !Good luck,with your caregiver family....You speaking to her daughter was a great thing to do ...sometimes people need to hear TRUTH it's the best ..after all this is REAL LIFE !!Good Job ! I would hire you to help caregive for my loved ones ......

Good news Tracey3. I hope this eases your mind! I know in our state home deaths are looked into as well.. always good to have the DR on board!

I am not young or untrained. I asked if it was legal. I thought or assumed that most if not all of you were probably your loved ones health POA and might know the answer. I have talked to the daughter and her family and suggested pallitive care or hospice. I'm not trying to take over nor am I condemning their feelings or wishes. My client is in a state that investigates any deaths in the home where the person hasn't been seen by a physician within 36hrs prior to death. Hospice and or pallitive care would qualify. I have license to protect. The daughter was not aware of that and doesn't want to have to deal with that at a time when she will be grieving. She has taken her mother to the Dr. And hospice is scheduled to meet with them. Thank you to all for the help it was much appreciated.

My mother had several TIAs 3 years ago when they first moved in with me. She was over them in 15 minutes (sort of like passing out with some confusion for a bit afterwards ) and she refused to allow us to call EMS, she is a retired RN, I work in a neurology ICU. She is complete DNR. The biggest risk is an increased risk for a full blown brain attack ( stoke) in the future. Mom smokes and drinks and hardly eats.. so we see this coming anyway. The trip to the ER would have been as bad as the TIA, and lasted a lot longer. Her DR and Cardiologist are both aware of this.. If she has a total brain attack of course we will call EMS,, but otherwise all are in agreement that as long as she bounces back in good time,, we will let her be. I'm not saying it's easy,, but it is her wishes. She has no dementia at this time, and I am her medical POA.

I will admit to not having read all the replies to this post. TIAs present the same way as a stroke but the symptoms resolve in less than 24 hours. The danger for any one is that they can evolve into major life threatening stroke. This lady is 90 and is going to die of something in the near future so heroic measures would not really achieve anything. From the description Tracy gives of the episodes I would also consider that she might be having seizures but once again so what.
I would assume the daughter is acting on her mother's previously expressed wishes which is very reasonable.
Tracy may not be a very experienced or untrained caregiver and feels everything possible should be done for her patient which is a very laudible sentiment.
Having hospice come in would be a good idea and provide extra help and support but if the lady is being adequately cared for and does not need things like aggressive pain control it is not really necessary. Nice but not vital.
Those who are not familiar with end of life care can find it hard to just let things be which seems to be what the daughter has decided and not put Mom through distressing tests like MRIs. I don't think Medicare would not approve the tests but I could be wrong. She certainly would meet the requirements. The amount of stuff they have approved for me is mind boggling and I am ten years younger and able to tolerate these procedures.

When my Mom was having mini-strokes....the situation was quite clear.....without any followup medical remediation, there is no point to doing the tests to find out.

Yeah...you can go ahead and do I...but, insurance won't pay and Medicare won't pay. With no treatment options, no point to doing expensive tests.

Mom was already on the medication to do the best they could to control it. That is that

Tracy 3, The reason I say go to pallitive care Hospice is because the mom and daughter probly do not want aggressive hospital visits .Visits to the hospital are Very stressful to the elderly .Mostly hospital will just run thousands of dollars in tests to say "we can Not do anything to help because shes tooo old and weak .SO daughter & mom just want to maintain any level of comfort that's available,90 years old is amazeing and delicate...but it's a definite HOSPICE situation..
Also I read another post that says there is NOTHING they can do for TIA & THAT'S THE TRUTH nothing can be done for A 90 year old haveing a TIA just wait it out ...SAD I KNOW....

I agree with Nomad. A hired CG can’t override the wishes of the Medical POA.

If Tracy felt the woman was being abused or otherwise yes but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

As for diagnosing Tracy - no disrespect meant - that is not your scope of practice. I’m an RN & I don’t diagnose either. I am not a physician.

I suggest you sit with the person’s daughter and discuss your concerns. If the POA stated to you that no heroic measures were to be taken, then you have to trust that the POA is carrying out the wishes of her mother.

1 3 4