Is it dementia?

My mother 72 yrs old has been experiencing some confusion and I am wondering if this is any symptoms of dementia.
She lives alone by herself and does manage home doing things like cooking, laundry, household chores etc. She eats a healthy diet and does not suffer from any kind of disease and is physically active. She also socialize and have group of friends she hangs out with every evening.
However, of late there were couple of incidents that took me by surprise. First, she initially lost her way to her old home (where she used to live for 10 years) but later recalled. Second, on couple occasions she has confused me to be with her though I live abroad.
I do not see any memory loss though except for normal forgetfulness.
I tried checking the symptoms of dementia but did not find a close match to the symptoms I just mentioned.
So my question is if this is some kind of dementia? Or I should wait for some more time before seeking medical advice. The thing is she got offended when I asked her to seek medical advice for confusion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

58

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Thank you for all the feedback! I will share the experience my mother undergoes.

A dog might be wonderful for her. Let her take care of it to the extent she can. Realize, though, that she may not be able to be responsible for it completely and what she can do may lessen over time. So be sure that you are willing to care for a dog before you take that step.

I can relate to the "broken GPS." My Mom lives with my sister in St. Francis. Last month I was taking her home (an hour from my house) and when we came to the sign "St. Francis" she said, "Oh, I know someone who lives here. I wonder who that is?" I laughed and said, "You live here, Mom." "I do? Do I have a house?" she was puzzled. I reminded her that she had an apartment in Beth and Tom's house. They live upstairs and she lives down. "Oh, yeah! I remember now!" Yup, location can become a big mystery with dementia.

My mum has vascular dementia and still her memory is fine but the first signs for me were a deep depression and bad mood swings then not washing memory wasnt the start but vascular can mimic depression. after a long battle with her doc I demanded a brain scan and that confirmed my fears!

The dog will prevent depression, which makes dementia worse. If you can stand it, yes, get her a dog.

If it doesn't improve her brain function directly, it could improve her quality of life! Have yo uhad any chance to get her to a medical eval to be sure nothing more reversible is going on?

I brought my mother home and she has been staying with me for over 3 months now. I witnessed some incidents that kind of suggest that she does have some mental issue (probably early signs of dementia)

I will list some of them
- Once she wanted to make a phone call to my sister. She keeps the list of phone numbers in a telephone diary. What she did was just wrote my sister's number down on a piece of paper and comes back telling me that she called my sister but she isn't answering the call.
- As I mentioned in my earlier post, her GPS has become corrupt. She never gets the place right now. We visited Portland, OR and she thought we were still in Charlotte
- Her learning capabilities and cognition also seems to be declining. She takes days before she learns something new.

Besides there are On and off memory lapses and she has become very quiet especially with new people she meets.

I am gradually starting to suspect that she does have early signs of dementia even though the diagnosis she went through 6 months ago didn't clearly determine that she has dementia. Any thoughts?

I was reading an article that pets (dogs) can help stimulate brain of older and/or dementing people. Is pet going to make a difference (slow the progression) or improve her brain health? She does love to own a dog and gets excited when I talk about it.

Aricept is not an over the counter drug and would be prescribed by the geriatric specialist if he felt that it would help with a diagnosis of dementia.

Aricept is a prescription drug, one of only a few that seem effective for dementia. As I understand it, it may improve mental function, but does not postpone death. Others on this site report that it helps some people and does not help others. If a doctor recommends it, it is certainly worth a try.

One more question...Would Aricept help in my mother's case? Or is it still worth a try? I believe it is an OTC drug.

Thank you all for some great comments.

My mother had not been on any medication ever until recently after she was diagnosed with Anemia. However I wouldn't call them medication technically, they are just vitamin supplements. And as I said earlier all her physical reports came out perfect.

I see some comments on inflammation. Probably I should take a closer look at it. I totally agree that the focus should be on diet and quality of life. My mother carries a very positive outlook towards life, so I am sure she won't object to any reasonable advise.

1 2 3 4 5