Is it alright for my 84-year-old mother with Alzheimer's Disease to sleep twenty hours a day?

my 84 year old mother has had Alzheimer's for 5 years and has started sleeping about 20 hours a day. Now she doesn't want to get out of bed. My father thinks it is ok and I should leave her alone.The other day she went to bed at 630 pm and was still in bed the next day at 2:00 pm I'm so stressed I dont know what to do

17

Answers

kloie12345, your mother is being followed on this by her doctor. That is good.

Your profile says she has dementia. As you know, dementia gets worse over time. Sometimes the progression is very slow and gradual and sometimes it seems to get a lot worse suddenly.

Discuss with her doctor whether Mom may be entering the final stage, and how best to prepare for that.

I am sorry this tough time is so soon after you moved to be near her. Try to make the most of the time she is awake, even if it just holding hands and listening to music.

(It is not generally a good idea to post personal information such as an email or phone number.)

My Mom was completely different 1 month ago.
She went into the hospital 2 weeks ago because she got so weak she could not hold her pills in her hand to take them, could not get in and out of bed without assistance and she did not have an appetite.
Her doctor took 5 of her pills away she had been taking and advised Gatorade. Mom doesn't like it...says it's not sweet enough.
Today, I was visiting and said something to her and the response was not in her character at all, she said she wasn't in the mood. Sh would never say that! Every time she eats, she complains, her stomach hurts. We all know...she doesn't think it's worth getting up and make-up on and dressed to do ANYTHING at all.
I moved here last year to be with her and now, I can't really...other than sit at her bedside while she sleeps.
PLEASE ADVISE,
Her eldest daughter,
Roxanne

Sleeping a lot is just a symptom. Yes it can lead to bed sores, dehydration, pneumonia, depression, etc, all mentioned here. As the caregiver, you have to reflect upon your own observations regarding her OVERALL condition. Then you need to consult with the doctor. If she is approaching end stage, it would be time to consider Hospice and forgo the need for corrective treatment. But if she's not end stage, there may be treatments for medication to help her back to function.

Over sleep is a common sign of depression. Get her to a doctor.

My Grandmother is 84 yrs old and was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 9 yrs ago. She takes Aricept and Namenda, without them, she is very, very mean. A few months ago, she started sleeping alot, she then passed out in the bathroom. We found out she was severely dehydrated at that time. After spending a week in the hospital, she has taken naps ever since. The last few weeks, she sleep ALOT. I'm talking 18-20 hours a day!! She says she is always tired and just wants to rest. She was taken to the doctor last week, (she complains of headaches daily) The doctor took her off 3 meds in hopes to get rid of the headaches she is having. However, it didn't address her desire to sleep all day. I was wondering too if it means she may not be around in a year. :(

I definately feel, and my husband and kids agree, that I'm not the same person I was before my Mom's alzheimer's diagnosis. It probably feels like living with someone who has chronic PMS 24/7! My moods go up and down... Even when I'm trying to carve out time just for me, the worry is always there. I'm just praying alot and doing much deep breathing to work thru it all. Guess I had underestimated how much a parent's dementia and/or alzheimer's affects the whole family. Din: considering the layoff and everything that's been going on, be kind to yourself. You're being proactive about your own health, as well as your parents. Give yourself lots of kudos! You deserve em!

its common the elders sleeps alot . its bad enough when they cant get up and do things they used to do .
i tried to keep dad up but its like trying to keep a newborn baby awake . they would cry mumble jumble wa wa and im thinking oh gosh !! ok go back to sleep ! i tried to get him to excersie , i sit on coffee table in front of him ok raise ur leg now raise other leg , i do it too so pa can see it and he would do it . he do it few then he watch me do the rest ! close his eyes and off to dream land .
onlytime he would stay awake is when we go out for a ride . he gets speical treatement (wendys) . then when we get home he is worn out . sleeps for days !
if im 86 and cant do nothing yeah i would welcome sleep ...

i am very stressed out because my parents got sick about the same time. dad is on hospice with his heart and now alheimers and mom has dimentia real bad. my husband is saying i am not the same person so i am going to the dr but i would love to know what fernanzdo was prescribed on top of this i got laid off so now the finances and more stress

I don't think so she needs to be stimulated. Day care is great

Hi there,
I think it is not good for anyone to sleep 24 hours, unless you are doing a job 24 hours and off 24 hours, than perhaps one would want to sleep.
You have to try to get her up, after perhaps 8 hours of sleep. What did she like doing? Perhaps you can ask her to go for walks with you or some simple gardening.
Do whatever it takes to get her up, it is not good for her, in the long run.
God bless