Is a doctor required to consult the family before prescribing medication? - AgingCare.com

Is a doctor required to consult the family before prescribing medication?

My Mother was receiving care from the Nursing home Doctor. I had to rush her to Emergency when I arrived one day. The Nursing home Doctor claims that the Hospital put my Mother on a anti psychotic, there was a huge decline in Mom when she got out of the hospital, she went from walking and talking to not being able to walk or barley put two words together. I had no idea what was going on and never dealing with Alzheimer's I though she was declining.

My Sister sent me Mom's medicine bill about a month later. I found that they had her on a cocktail of antipsychotic meds, and antidepressants. From what I understand when the patient is released the attending Doctor is to review all medications and discuss any medication change with the family. We were never told about any of this. They added 21 new medications in one month and my Mom became a vegetable. When we caught this I called and met with the Doctor. She told me I had no idea and was in denial of my Mothers condition. I was not in denial but I know what she was like before the meds and what she became. Of course we moved her and although I had told them to stop or wean her off I know they continued. I have no proof but when she was moved she spend days throwing up from what I assume withdrawals. Mom never recovered from this and she passed away about a month and a half later. Is this legal? I have reported her to the Medical Board and she is under investigation. The shocker is when I looked her up on line she is currently under inditement with a Hospice agency for over medicating the elderly. You can read the inditement on line. It claims they would give the medicine to the nurses and say give them an early by by. Do I have any recourse? My Mother may have had Alzheimer's but her death was drug induced.

24

Answers

1 3
ImageIMP, Yes they do need to show respect. Mom was only in a home for approx. 5 1/2 months before we lost her, the first home was about 3 months and the 2nd 2 1/2. I learned so very much in that time. I would like to return to visit the last home BUT. The Texas Medical Board is moving very fast on this and already called everyone for Mom's health records. I have been advised that no one can talk to me until this is over and I totally understand. the whole thing is so sad.

Even in a private pay ALF they use sedatives to ensure that the clients are compliant. We should not be sedating our elderly family members with Seroquel and other anti psychotic meds because they are confused and agitated. There is no definitive evidence based trials that support these kind of drugs be prescribed for symptoms of dementia or alzheimer. Over medicating is not the answer.

no you need to get her away from that doctor they have there own mind !!!i dont know what it is but i do not think they are doing the good for the patient but for there own purpose..i say this my mom has a catheter she is not to have medication that will make her hold her self they had that medicine on hand if she was in there eyes she need the meds ..i say not all i really dont think they are for the good of them but for the home that they run ...!!!!!!!

I was POA with a written request from the patient to assist in decision making but was never included nor notified of any med changes or diagnoses change including canceling things like mammograms ... You mean you are notified when there is a fall? When this resident falls, she is told they will tell family so she doesn't need to bother but they never do....and if you ask for incident reports there is no response. one of these days.........moves are tough on these residents....hard to find a place to trust when you read the reviews.....this is a nightmare...

From one end of the spectrum to the other. I have asked over and over again for some type of anti anxiety meds for my mil. The NH Dr. has told me he doesn't like psych meds. So now she spins herself into agitation daily and has lost so much weight from anxiety it's ridiculous.

I do have Medical//durable/general POA for my Mom, but have mostly lost control or knowledge of her regular meds. (I’m working on that!) People also need to realize, though, that even “OTC routine” meds need to be monitored… I get really frustrated because I can’t even get them to listen to me regarding “regular bowel care” meds (namely laxatives). Prior to the fall 2 years that ended up with nursing home care, Mom had recurrent and serious issues with diarrhea, and after many tests the reason “couldn’t be found". When we saw her cardiologist for a different issue, he asked whether there was anything else he could help with? I laughed and said “nothing you want to deal with!” He said he was also an Internist, and what??? He immediately said sometimes antacids can cause chronic diarrhea (she was on Prilosec), and he took her off that and prescribed something different… Her “issue” cleared up immediately! (I added this info because it might actually help someone else?)

So – when Mom reported to me that in the nursing home she was having horrible, multiple, and humiliating diarrhea “out of the blue” – during dining room meals, going down the hall, etc. – and was so embarrassed I finally asked the meds nurse whether she’d been given laxatives or anything? Yes – as part of their “regular bowel care” routine, she’d been a little constipated, so they automatically gave her laxatives… It might have been nice to warn her? She’s not incontinent, and tells them when she needs help to go to the bathroom, so this really had her upset. Plus – I was worried at anything that could throw her into her previous issue with horrible chronic issues. I told them “Try prune juice! At the most, try gentle laxatives, or even short doses, and for Pete’s sake WARN HER!" They pay attention "sometimes"...

To me, this is showing utter disregard for personal dignity and quality of life. It's right up there with the time I took her to the doctor, and she was quiet and had her arms crossed over her chest... When I asked whether she was OK, she said "They couldn't find my bra! I haven't left the house since I was 13 years old without a bra!!" (She's 97 years old, and wears a DD/underwire bra.) She did have 4 good-quality bras, but when we got back, I checked and only found one which was so beat up from their laundry "care" - holes, hooks in back bent out of shape and only one sort of working - I was livid! These places need to have "training" orientation for (mostly) young CNA's and other staff about the dignity and respect  -and what that entails - due the older generation!

What do you mean by an "early by by"??
Is this a misspell or a colloquial expression?
As any RN knows, that many new meds in a month's time with her noted side effects is a red flag, and the RN is mandated to question this activity

It sounds to me like you'll probably need the help of a wrongful death lawyer and maybe even consult with an elder lawyer to see if they can help you also. If you were a contact on your loved ones medical records, I would think they should've contacted you.

If you were not listed as one of her contacts, then no they won't contact you according to Hippa laws

Adding to the answer I posted a few hours ago . . . talk to a D.A. about filing a criminal complaint against the Dr. and the Nursing Home. The Dr. and someone from the Nursing Home should go to jail. That would shore up your civil complaint and attorneys would have the case made for them if criminal charges are brought by a DA.

At Moms facility you can pick a doctor out of the 3 or 4 who have privleges. They all have their own practises in the area. A pychiatrist NP sees Mom monthly. And no, it doesn't seem like they have to tell u at the time a new med has been introduced. It was discussed at a care meeting as a new med. I have a RN in the family so I include her in updates. But, I was told by the facility Mom is in and my daughter, who works in nursing homes that they try to do less than more. With my Mom she has one kidney working half capacity so meds don't work out of her system as fast.

1 3