Is anyone aware of any psychological evaluations or a study that tells us about the emotion swings of an Alzheimer's sufferer? - AgingCare.com

Is anyone aware of any psychological evaluations or a study that tells us about the emotion swings of an Alzheimer's sufferer?

A psychological evaluation made of an Alzheimer's sufferer from the of a course of say, 24 hours (or you fill in the number), that would tell us if that patient has up and down moods like most of us. Some things make one happy, some sad, some optimistic, sometimes hopeful, sometimes not..... More simply, is there a study that tells us about the emotion swings of an alzheimers sufferer. And the triggers? Thanks in advance.

11

Answers

I agree. Iwould only work thru the pros in the treatment center where my wife is residing. Fyi. our daughter visited with my wife this afternoon for about an hour...she reported back to me it went well. Our daughter visits 3-4 times a week all the while being a great mother to my high school age granddaughter. AS I have mentioned hereupon before I am 'stuck' in HOUSTON
Reply to Fisherman

I should tread a bit carefully before exposing anyone with the typical dementias to anything so completely unfamiliar. But certainly there are interesting elements that could be introduced into the person's normal living environment..?

Hi Fisherman,
Yeah, the Snoezelen Room sounds interesting with the potential results it could produce!
Reply to Caring2Love

I just read about the Snoezelen Room ......thats exactly the type thing I had envisioned .... I'll follow up on that...
Reply to Fisherman

Thanks for all your replies. I've learned several avenues that are new to me. Thanks for all your help and ideas.
Reply to Fisherman

Hi Fisherman,
Are you familiar with a Snoezelen Room? Although it doesn't provide a means to measure what they're upcoming mood swings might be, a Snoezelen Room provides good stimuli to improve their mood. It's a therapeutic environment.

The more the person can be exposed to an environment to improve their mood, I believe they would have less mood swings.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but thought you might find it of interest if you weren't yet familiar with it.
Reply to Caring2Love

Fisherman, there's another option, one which I've raved about in the past and continue to have found it useful. The Alzheimer's Assn. in conjunction with the AAA held a free 6 week "course" on Caregiving for Alz. patients. Although that was the focus, I wasn't dealing with dementia but found it extremely helpful, and some aspects were "out of the box" approaches.

You might want to check with your local Alz. Assn. and see if this is still offered. At one time they were planning on producing a DVD. I don't know if that actually was done, or if any DVDs are still available.

Thanks for your kind responses. The pain of watching someone suffering the wretchedness of alzheimer's is almost unbearable sometimes.
Reply to Fisherman

Fisherman, your wife and family are lucky to have a CG that thinks out of the box for solutions to improve conditions not only for your wife, but those Alzheimer patients in the future.
Good luck with finding resources.
Reply to Shane1124

Thanks for your reply. It gives me clues. Just to be upfront , I'm not an AZ researcher ...in case I misled you. It's my wife. I'm trying to find a way to make her days just a little bit happier. She is in full-time AZ Care in Mississippi while I continue to live in Houston. Our Daughter lives near her in Mississippi and thats why she's there.

I AM a medical researcher for NASA and some nearby hospitals. Thats why I'm still here. And not there.

So my logic tells me if we can establish a pattern of behavior, on an individual basis for sure, with the triggers (or lack thereof for sure) we can control the AZ sufferer's emotions to make them happy.

That can be done.

Thanks again for your reply.
Reply to Fisherman