My friend does not have any of the above problems yet she is on much medication and this fogs her brain so the home should be responsible in this case shouldn’t they? I know when I had emergency surgery they lost my dentures and my daughter made sure they paid for new ones yet I had to go to rehab without teeth so it was bad-yet they paid up

Yes maybe readers are 10 and under but my mother's glasses cost 420 bucks!
Reply to WilmaDean

My Mom lost hers the first day in AL. They were found in an empty room.
I took pictures of them. The next time the hairdress got them mixed up. Had a picture to show another resident was wearing them. Residents should have a side table. CNAs should put glasses in the drawer.

Has friend ever had cataract surgery. I have been told u have 2 choices. One, which Medicare pays fully for, you will need glasses to see. The other, you pay about 2K out of pocket, a lense is used with your perscription so u can see without glasses. So you get Readers for reading. So, are ur friends glasses prescription or just a reader.

It might say in the contract of the nursing home that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items.

At the drugstore, "readers" are under $10 but prescription eyeglasses can cost hundreds of dollars. I too paid hundreds for my multi-focal, prescription glasses.

Dentures have to be removed prior to surgery so the anesthesiologist doesn't knock them down the throat as he works. A person whose dentures are inadvertently left in can choke on them during surgery.
Reply to Eyerishlass

Glasses are not cheap. My special lenses thai I need are $500. Nursing homes do not have one on one services and "foggy" patients can easily lose things outside of their rooms. My mom lost her dentures presumably because she dumps things in her basket.

I recommend that you find some way to label them and use an eyeglass necklace.

Teeth are supposed to stay in your mouth except when they're being cleaned or stored overnight. If they get lost, and it isn't because a very muddled person has hidden them under his leftover vegetables, then that looks like carelessness on the part of the staff and the hospital's or facility's insurers will recognise the liability and pay up.

But glasses... oh boy. If I had a dollar for every hour I've spent looking for my *own* glasses, without which I am helpless - ! Glasses, like pens and pairs of scissors, go walkies all on their own, and it isn't reasonable to expect a busy NH staff to keep track of them reliably. They can do their best, but all the same.

You can get a brightly coloured case or container for them and put it by her bed, labelled GLASSES and with her name. You can glue or stitch a name tape to one arm of them. If they're very expensive, it might be worth seeing if you can get her lens prescription made up in a couple of cheaper frames. And once she's sitting up and taking notice, on reduced medication, you can get a pretty chain for her to wear them round her neck.

But I don't think you'll get the NH to accept cash-type responsibility.

Glasses are under $10 a pair now. The pair I'm wearing as I type this cost much less than that. I would just keep a spare on hand at all times. Save the fight for things that matter.
Reply to needtowashhair
cwillie Nov 2, 2018
$10 a pair? Even my straightforward single vision lenses cost over $200, if multi focal lenses are needed they can cost much, much more.
(2)