Do you think an Ipad would be good to keep my Mom's mind active? - AgingCare.com

Do you think an Ipad would be good to keep my Mom's mind active?

She watches some TV, but I would like to see her mind more engaged. A lot of elderly people do quite well with computers, etc., but I was thinking an Ipad may be the best thing for her, as it is lightweight. I would probably get her a larger one, as it's easier to see. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2

Answers

Many older people are using IPads and also ebook readers. They can adjust the font, they are lighter to hold than a book, and they generally don't have a huge learning curve. I think this may be worth a try.
Take care,

Yes! The iPad rocks! If she would mainly be reading books (holding it for long periods of time, the Mini might be more comfy). If she'd be using it more like a computer, the bigger one makes sense. The Smart Cover works very well for propping it up.

My Dad had never used a computer in his life. He's elderly but still very sharp. He's done remarkably well with his iPad. Mom has advanced Alzheimers and as long as someone can set it up for her, listening to music, watching slideshows of family pictures, or FaceTimeing with family members are a high point in her day.

I'd be happy to share some more specifics about how we've made the iPad work for Dad if you like.

• Gardening is a popular hobby, but bending, kneeling and working the soil can become physically challenging with age. Discover tips from experienced gardeners on how to adapt this activity to help an elderly loved one continue exercising their green thumb.
  • Before you or your loved one can vote in an election, you must be registered to vote. There are three different ways to register vote in the federal election.
  • The aging brain can continue to function actively and effectively if we recognize its needs for nutrition, challenge, reducing stress, exercise and more. Use these tips to improve memory and cognitive function.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best suggestions for activities and opportunities that can provide valuable social interaction for elders.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best tips and suggestions for crafty activities that seniors will love.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled some of their best ideas for activities to keep seniors mentally healthy and engaged.