Does insurance cover wheelchairs or bathroom safety items? - AgingCare.com

Does insurance cover wheelchairs or bathroom safety items?

Grandma will be coming to live with me soon. I need to buy her a wheelchair and bathroom safety items. Will insurance cover any of these costs, particularly the wheelchair?

The wheelchair will probably be around $200 out-of-pocket. She only needs it so we can get her in and out of the house. It would also come in handy to get her to go places like the grocery store as she dislikes walking and is afraid of falling. She doesn't need it at the doctor's office. She always uses a walker.

I figure the grand total of everything she'll need will come to around $541 + tax.

I know nothing about her insurance and neither does she. Her son (my uncle) is in charge of that. I just thought I'd check things out before talking to him about it.

26

Answers

1 2 3
97 yroldmom, great advice, I had ot and pt in they were extremely helpful. Looked at our tub/shower, tjought about it, then told me what type of shower chair would work best. Then came back to show me the easiest way to actually get mom on chair and showered. I liked the fact that as my mom was declining, they came back with new suggestions. Great advice!

Be sure to take care of yourself I meant to say.

My moms Medicare paid for bed and chair and walker and bedside commode. They will also repair as needed and replace after several years. Bedside commodes also work great as shower chairs. When you get a wheelchair try to get a good jell cushion. Medicare will pay for that also. Don't allow her to sit in it too long. Bad for circulation. But easier/safer to get up and down due to raised height and can be locked in place. Find a good medical supplier and they can help you choose. Try to get physical and occupational therapy in your home for her. It's so important that she keep active. If she sits and gains weight it will be hard on her and you. The PT will give her exercises that the two of you can do together. The OT will help you make sure your home is safe and help her maneuver in her new environment. Sorry you didn't ask for that last bit. Because to take care of yourself. Good luck.

Never knew that made those, guess I was just lucky the commodes fit in out bathrooms. Thanks JoAnn

Rosebush, there are highrisers that go on the toilet that give somemore highth. If you have the room, I think a commode is better. The arms help the person get up and the legs can be adjusted. The back bar screws off. You can buy a splash guard to take the place of the bucket or cut the bottom off the bucket.

Please try to find out what kind of insurance she has as that will be a key factor. Some insurances will pay for things like this if there is a doctor's order. Depending on what state you live in, there might be places that we call here in Iowa "Medical loan closets." These are places that you can go to get a wheel chair, walkers, commodes, things for the shower, etc. Sometimes, some hospitals will as well have these "loan closets." There is no cost for this at all!

Key item, you have to get the elder's doc to sign off on it for Medicare approval.

I had a commode from my mom and then my dad received one and I took the bucket off and place them over our toilets. Dad is still able to go into the bathroom so this works for us. I don't know the difference between the toilet seats mentioned above and the commode. Another thing that I thought of that we did years ago was that all of the grandchildren chipped in and bought my grandmom a petite lift chair/recliner. Medicare did pay for a very small amount of the price of the chair. My grandmom used the chair for a good 5 years then my mom used it. We definitely got use out of this chair and grandmom liked it better then getting a lot of gifts that she really didn't need.

The answer is yes if the doctor of the elder signs off on it. Then Medicare SHOULD cover it.

I worked for nursing facility. You need to do some reasearch concerning Medicare. Like I said, they dont cover shower chairs. They may cover one thing, like a wheelchair, but when u need a bed, that won't be covered since u got a wheelchair.
A bed will cost you over a $1000. Like suggested, try the Redcross, the Lions Club, ect

1 2 3