The insurance co. wants to kick my Mom out of the rehab. What do I do? - AgingCare.com

The insurance co. wants to kick my Mom out of the rehab. What do I do?

My Mom can't walk and now they found bacteria in her urine.

33

Answers

1 3 4
Robin, they sent your mom to rehab with her not being able to walk?

thank you, sandwich, think that's what I'd thought too; just like when you get laid off - don't think I've ever known too many people who could afford COBRA; maybe in a way she's blessed but then on the other hand, with what she's going through I wonder

Thank you everyone for all your advise. I just want to clarify a few things the doctor and the rehab both agree that she needs to stay at the rehab.....As I stated in the beginning my mother was working and independent before all this happened the physical therapist said he never saw anyone work as hard as mother. I will take all your advise and handle this appeal thanks again to all of you that took your time to really care and understand.

Debdaughter - I think it entirely depends on how you leave a company. The people who retire where I work can keep the employer coverage by paying the COBRA fee, which is astronomical but better than nothing.

thanks, garden, wish she'd posted that here, wonder how things are going now; seems that's what happens - but also think this is the very reason why Medicare was started

Deb, this was on Robin's message board:

Rockinrobin1204 posted 5/13/2015 at 7:23 pm

"Thank you everyone for your feedback on my mom just clarify some info my mom is 78 still works she is doing everything she is suppose to do"

I interpreted that as that her mother is actually still working for an employer.

I didn't get the idea mom was still working, just that her insurance was from the job she'd had - not sure I realized you could still keep your employer insurance or at least didn't think most people did - maybe this is why? any more insight on this as we're looking down the road

Rehab is supposed to be temporary. Nobody is going to stay in rehab until they are completely well because that isn't the point of rehab. If you aren't getting better and can't meet the care goals within those first 3 weeks or so, you have to go into another care facility to be taken care of. If you are getting better and meet the goals, then you have to go back to where you were living before.

There should be a social worker at the rehab place or the head nurse who can explain the goals to you, what is being to done to help mom reach the goals (the therapies), and how she is progressing (or not). At some point, they stay there does have to end whether mom is well or not.

For example, my mom was in rehab twice after two different hospitalizations. After about a week, she refused to do the PT activities. They can't force her to.
So after a generous period of pleading, cajoling, and bribing her, she still refused so they had to move her on out. She couldn't stay there indefinitely and occupy a high-demand bed. So she went into a skilled nursing unit/dementia unit where they continued trying to get her to do PT.

Jeanne - I agree. It's looking like the doctor and facility think the Appeal lacks merit.
Rockin - I'm not saying it does; but it would explain their lack of cooperation. Good luck.

I missed this the first time I read your profile but now realize that your mother is still working. Have you contacted the HR department of her employer to ask for assistance? If she's off on short or long term disability, it's in their best interests to have her back on the job sooner rather than later, so they have a vested interest in her successful recovery.

1 3 4