Who can install safety bars in the bathroom for reasonable price?

This needs to happen ASAP. North austin, area

12

Answers

The suction cup bars will slip, but they are better than nothing while waiting for mounted structures. I've found they are better if you clean the cups and surface under them every week so that the fit remains tight. Still they are known to come loose and can have some bad consequences if they do -- especially in the shower.

Those suction cup grab handles are not strong enough to support the weight of a person who gets off balance. Not a safe alternative.

Great idea freqflyer, we never had a good plumber for 31 years and just found one last year. At least we hope or should I say that my husband and I want to believe that we have. Going to check into it. Thanks!!!

When my parents needed grab bars in their bathroom they called their local plumber who had the bars in stock, and they knew the bars would be installed correctly.

I went to Walgreens and bought the suction cup bars. They work really well to tide you over until you get a professional to do them. They come in single and double. You just have to check them each time to make sure that the green is showing and not the red. Read the instructions PLEASE. Nothing has to be done with the tile except it has to be supper clean under the suction cups. You can use wipes to make sure of this.

Go to Thumbtack website enter your zip code and you will find a list of local contractors in our area. I have used this site but you do need to look at the feedback that the contractors have.

what is your zip code?

Rainmom, this is a good idea. When my father was having OT/PT the OT person gave us the name of someone who does this type of work. Someone with experience will know how to determine where to install and what is needed. If there is an OT person coming to the house, he/she can walk with the person and see how they navigate and recognize spots where a bar will be useful.

I know that The Department of Disabilities and Aging in my area has a list of companies/people who do this type of work. Sometimes there are even grants and foundations that will pay for that type of home improvement - although that is a process that requires applications and may take more time than you have. Just an idea.

Another thing to ask when you call: how many grab bars has this company or this personal installed. You don't want someone who's never done this, especially with ceramic tile.