What can I expect at the initial doctor appointment to activate the medical power of attorney?

What can I expect at the initial doctor appointment to activate the medical power of attorney? We have been in touch with the doctors about my dad's abusive behavior and he has already been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. We have an appointment on Tuesday and the doctor said they are going to activate the medical power of attorney. I'm not entirely sure what to expect and I have all kinds of anxiety about it because I know my dad is going to be furious! He is already extremely abusive. Are they going to ask me questions right in front of him about his forgetfulness and his behavior? Or are there routine questions to ask him and just quietly sign it and let you go? I really don't know what to expect and I'm extremely nervous.

33

Answers

1 2 3 4
Franklin99: Here is more helpful information on the voting for Athens, Wisconsin. I've located Athens in Marathon County. Board of Elections is @ 500 Forest Street, Wausau, WI 54403, phone number @ 715-261-1500, fax number @ 715-261-1515. I hope that this information assists you, Franklin.

Franklin99: More voting info for you (Athens, WI) below-----

Poll Location: Village Board Room, 221 Caroline Street

Poll Hours: 7:00am to 8:00pm

Please click on the tabs on the left for more election topics!

**YOU WILL NEED A PHOTO ID TO VOTE IN THE 2016 ELECTIONS!!!

2016 Elections:

April 5th -Spring Election/Presidential Preference
August 9th - Fall Partisan Primary
November 8 - Fall General Election

continued-you may want to call the woman yourself. Her response to me was rather vague.

Franklin99: Yes, I now understand why you needed to MPOA. As far as the voting, you may want t

Franklin99: I just spoke to a woman at the Board of Elections in Athens, WI. I asked the question "can a person with dementia vote in the upcoming Presidential election?" Her response was "I imagine they could."

Franklin: For the voting question, look up the information on the Athens, Wisconsin site/page.

Yes, DPOA was what I told you I thought you should have.

My Board of Elections said that as long as my elder understood enough to know that she was voting and could indicate yes or no for questions or candidates, that was good enough for them. They also set her up on auto absentee ballots as long as we request one for each new election season. Thus, when she moved to the memory care, we had a tax referendum she voted in, and that was it for the year. The next spring, I sent in her request for the primary, and then she also got the next 2 run off ballots in the mail and the general election. Her nursing home is in a different district, so I print off the info about her candidates and read it to her when we have the ballots so we can have it done all at once. I knew her party and that helped.

I should also mention that they put him on Depakote for aggressive behavior

Glad everything went smoothly!

1 2 3 4