I recently was diagnosed with COPD. Any information on how to reverse it?

I’m 67 years old I normally very healthy, I’m a vegan, exercise every day, but I starting to have some symptoms
And I see the doctor and after a pulmonary text that is the result COPD

28

Answers

1 2 3
You may actually be taking very good care of yourself but I'm not sure if COPD can actually be reversed. However, it can be managed through regular treatments including nebulizer breathing treatments. I don't have COPD that I know of but I do have post pertussis asthma and I take breathing treatments. I'm not even sure asthma can be reversed, but it can be managed. I learned the hard way that I can't go long without my treatments or I'll just start hacking again. Yes, I have cough variant asthma caused by undiagnosed pertussis, I had all of the symptoms of pertussis. Getting diagnosed with pertussis is actually very hard since pertussis is supposed to be a thing of the past. However, it's making a strong come back due to lack of vaccinations during childhood. I'm thankful to be alive today, but now I'm dealing with post pertussis cough variant asthma, and I don't see it going away.

Sadly, some respiratory conditions are permanent. Don't go too long without your treatments or you'll end up with serious consequences. It's easy to skip your treatments when you're feeling normal, but I'm warning you, don't do it because there will come a time when you'll suddenly have problems without any prior warning and they'll only progressively worsen, for making it harder and harder for you to get through your day without your treatments. The problem will progressively worse and until you resolve it by resuming your treatments.

In fact, I just got the cutest little pocket sized nebulizer with a heavy output so I don't have to be on a regular machine for near as long. It seems like this little pocket size nebulizer has a greater output so you can shorten time you're on the machine. yes, my newest nebulizer dramatically cuts my treatment time from the normal 8 to 11 minutes all the way down to a few seconds but no more than one minute. Oh how strong some of these pocket nebulizers are!

Garden I was also going to recommend Pulmonary Rehab. Most hospitals offer it, and it helps you learn to live with COPD and have a better quality of life.

Ask your pulmonologist if there's a pulmonary rehab program at the hospital with which he/she is affiliated, and ask if you qualify for the program. I've been advised Medicare will pay for it and there's no time limit on participation as there is with PT or OT.

Were you prescribed oxygen for home use?

Getwellsoon, You are in the Severe stage with FEV1 between 30-49%. You might ask to see an RT (respiratory therapist) to prevent further decline. You might also want to get a pulse oximeter, fingertip style, so you can keep a log of heart rate and O2 saturation levels. Share the log with your MD at office visits.

I have Copd fev1 39% and respiratory failure . What stage of Copd is this ?

Bethanyrita has a good comment. Using the search words "herbs, lungs, bronchial" I came across several links. One, for example, mentions 9 herbs for lungs and cold help. The herbs they recommend are: Mullein, Angelica, Ginger, Garlic, Cinnamon, Elecampane, Coltsfoot, Thyme, and Wild Cherry Bark. (source: vitaminstohealth/lung-herbs.html) Between Swanson Vitamins, Amazon, Herbspro.com, and other online retailers--or even your local health food stores--you can probably find these things.

There is some herb product that help lung but not reverse but good for lung cicrulatiion like lung and bronchial. Visit pulmonary doctor. go to westcoast Arizona . The air is different.

Stress can be physical as well as mental. Stress affects the weakest link in the chain. Our bodies respond to stress differently: some get cancer, others get arthritis, etc.

As a vegan, your physical stress could be due to insufficient iron, calcium, and B-12. Possibly also copper and zinc. These are common deficiencies for vegans. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and even my iron, calcium, and B-12 levels are low without supplementation. There are great vegan sources for all these supplements.

Additionally, dietary fats help us absorb nutrients. Go with quality organic cold-pressed ones, as well as raw nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are also good sources for zinc.

I have been dealing with COPD for 20+ years. It robs you of your strength and energy. They are right there is no cure. It is the 3rd leading cause of death worldwide. But there is a lot you can do to help yourself. You will have good days and bad. On the good do what you can without pushing yourself. On the bad let things go, it can wait. I never smoked. I have the gene defect plus asthma, chronic Broncitus, and a ton of allergies. Get a good home filter system if you can. Avoid anything that makes you worse- this can be fumes, outdoor scents, foods, etc. most people get an excessive mucus build up. Mine likes to form at the bottom of my throat and nothing except Coke cola will pass through until its gone. I have choked on food several times because of this so I've learned to keep Coke as a staple at home and in the car. The canned seems to work the best. Mornings are the worst but if I can catch it early enough Anise candy squares also help cut through it. Musinex helps some people but with me it made it worse. Drink lots of water to keep the mucus thinned out. A lot of it is trial and error. I use 2 different meds in a nubulizer machine which will make me shake like an earthquake. Sometimes cheese or sweets will help calm things but if its really bad all I can do is go lay down til it eases up. I use 2 different inhalers and when I get Broncitus an antibiotic and prednisone. Prednisone really helps but has bad muscle spasm side effects, especially in the legs. Used to be you could get quinine pills that worked great but they outlawed them. Tonic water has quinine in it. I cannot stand the taste so I mix it at least half n half with koolaid. There is also an herbal quinine pill you can get at Walgreens- & Dollar General - Leg Cramps from Hyland's company. (Homeopathic). It works really good but can be hard to find. You can live better by informing yourself. Learn all you can. The American Lung Association is a good source. Hope this helps you out.

My mother-in-law died of lung cancer, and never smoked, but she lived many years in a part of the world where people cooked on wood or charcoal fires; and even after coming to California there were things she preferred to cook outside on the barbecue. My aunt died of throat cancer, was very rarely sick until the last, but lived with a smoker for about 30 years and then lived in a basement apartment on a busy intersection. We don't realize what we're exposed to sometimes until it's too late.

1 2 3