Do I have a legal obligation to inform family if their parent has a UTI?

Since my boyfriend's family has finally decided to step to the plate and take care of their mother and I will be back to work on March 1st, do I have a legal obligation to tell the family when their mother comes home from rehab and gets a uti?

The reason I know she has a uti is due to allergic reactions to the urine. She is in rehab at the moment from mild heart attack and septis. Please dont comment about moral responsibilty because that is out the window.

10

Answers

Babalou, i care for my boyfriend just not his family which is why im going back to the city. I just dont want to deal with them anymore.

Yesterday was interesting though because i went to lunch with his aunt that no one likes because she speaks her mind but i like her. She told me alot of things about his mom that were absolutely crazy like she would call her mom when the kids were young, drunk, and threaten to hurt them if her mom didnt take care of them. Alot of her stories made things the old man told me make sense. It was enlightening. I have read alot of posts by people who were treated poorly by their parents who feel obligated to help them and I have a hard time understanding why they do it. I havent told my boyfriend about the lunch or conversation because I dont want anyone freaking out on her. She encouraged me to get on with my life which i was doing anyway, but it felt good to know someone understood.

Tacy, these folks all appear to be bat $#it crazy ( at least according to your description of their behaviors). I'm just not sure why you would subject yourself to them.

Shari, while in most situations, your idea is very good. In this situation, i did inform them she had a uti, they didnt believe me and verbally attacked me...which is why she got septis to begin with. I have no obligation to help because if i do, i will get stuck taking care of her and there are too many bridges burnt

Im not sure why this is a question.. best thing I think to do is since you are aware of what a UTI is and how it affects elderly people you could share this information with them. Knowledge is power and with the feat ahead with your boyfriends family taking over the care of her, you could be doing a great thing for them. Maybe start a book for them. You know one page with the doctors and/or any other important phone numbers and her meds on it. Then maybe print a good article on what happens when an elderly person gets a UTI. Maybe add other information you may think of that would help them understand what they could/should. It could turn into a great resource book, one that all of you could add to.

Freqflyer, see I completely agree with you but i just wanted to make sure. My boyfriend and I got along best when I worked an hour and a half away and i didnt have to see him or his family everyday.

I agree with FF. If you visit, you are a visitor. Besides, you have no credentialed medical knowlege, right? It's not as though you are a physician who might be under a legal obligation to inform.

Tacy, I would believe that since the family is taking over the care of your boyfriend's Mom, that it is now their responsibility for her health, and for them to check with Mom's doctors on all aspects of past and future care.

I am afraid if you step in and say this or that about her health, you might find yourself once again being the 24/7 caregiver.

I am moving on the 27th and 28th, but if i come to visit, do I have an obligation.

Are you saying that you will continue to live there and want to know if you have a legal obligation to tell them that you suspect that she has uti?

I'm not sure of the legal responsibility, but surely it would be helpful for them to know? I would think everyone's goal is for mom to be as healthy, safe, and comfortable as possible.

In my case, MIL gets paranoid and very confused with UTI's. So if we aren't on the ball and thinking she could have a UTI, we chase our tails trying to "unconfused" her and deal with her paranoia.

Is there a reason you don't want them to know?