My Mother lives with us and I may need surgery. Is there any kind of temporary independent living?

The most beautiful independent living facility in my mother's area will allow you to live in a furnished apartment to "try before you buy". It was about the same price as a very nice hotel and includes meals, local transportation and activities. (If you can afford that.)
Reply to Marcia7321

Call Nursing facilities and ALs in your area. Ask if they provide respite care. Check with hospitals too. Call Office of Aging to see if they provide info. Maybe PCP has info.

She wouldn't go on a cruise. Thank you all for the help. I will try the google for respite.
Reply to onthegonana

Yes, there is such a thing. I would do as Barb suggested and do an Internet search for respite care in your area.
Reply to AliBoBali

Is she able to go on a cruise? A family member can go with? How "independent" is independent?
Reply to Sendhelp

You are looking for "respite care". Google that, and your zip code.