Influenza A in assisted living, anyone have experience with this?

We just were notified that due to several cases of Influenza A in my mom's AL, they were shutting the dining room and stopping all group activities for the next 7 days (ordered by the county). They will be delivering meals to the rooms. They have asked people to avoid visiting too. I talked with my Mom and she is pretty philosophical about it. She doesn't leave her room much anyway. Mom has had her flu shot and has a pretty healthy immune system, so I am hopeful she won't be affected. I'm just wondering if other people have gone through this. She is in a great AL place so expect they are doing all they can. I really feel for them though. A lot of worry and a lot of extra work.

5

Answers

We just got a notice that the Department of health is recommending everyone at the AL take Tamiflu prophylactically. So now I'm deciding whether to do that.

My LO's AL and MC facility haven't had a lock down yet, but, they did get a couple of cases of flu. My LO has been spared so far.

When my family and I got bad colds, I held off on visiting my LO. I called and explained. And, I"m glad I did, because what we had gave you the cough from hell that lasted for weeks. THEN, I got Type A influenza and continued to stay away. I read a lot about it and people are actually more capable of spreading the flu longer than what the average person thinks.

I wish people wouldn't visit places like that when they are sick. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks. It does help to hear others who have through it. My sister was thinking of bringing her home for the weekend. I recommended she ask the AL what their recommendations were. Although Mom doesn't leave her room much anyway, I think she will get sick of having the food delivered. But they did send out a menu sheet for the week so she could choose what she wanted. I feel comfortable that she is in good hands.

It is something ALs and nursing homes deal with every year and outbreak protocols are a little different depending on where you live. Mom's NH and the attached AL have been through Influenza B earlier this year and the quarantine restrictions were only placed on those with symptoms, although group activities were cancelled until it was over and visitors were asked not to linger in common areas or visit room to room.

Mom has been in IL and ALs for 8 years. Most of the time her building quarrentines have been for stomach flu issues and they happen about every 2 years. My brother and I have experience with visiting her to help bleach clean her room at the end and both of us got sick with the same illness at least once. She only got sick one time.

These illnesses can be deadly to elderly people and if the place shuts down, that is the primary reason. It is to prevent others becoming sick. You also noticed in the news about this year's flu epidemic is really bad and that flu shots are not covering the new mutations.

Based on past experiences, I did not take her to visit her friend at another AL under quarrentines nor did I take her out when her place posted signs. She stayed healthy this year and so did I. The isolation is based on best practices.