Can an individual be reimbursed for the premiums they paid to a supplemental insurance carrier when they were not needed?

My mother paid for supplemental insurance (BCBS) for years and was just advised because she has Medicare and Medicaid she did not need to. She is soon to be 78 and I believe qualified for Medicaid for at least the last 12 years. Is she entitled to a reimbursement of the premiums? She was paying $175 a month!

25

Answers

1 2 3
No, I don't believe there will be any refund of premium. She should be using her medicare and medicaid for her health care, she should also have a drug plan unless she has an advantage plan that shows "Dual Need" status.

MaggieJ, you were lucky. My husband worked for GM. UAWs took over the benefits. Every year we get a letter explaining my husband's benefits and who is covered under them. We contact them with any changes.

Ahhh now I see what you were referring to. It reflected "at home" (which meant her home) not "at my home" which was another option.

Yes something is definitely wrong -I did not place that on my profile, my mother does not live with me. Haven't lived with my mother since I was 18!

NikkiP: Something is definitely amiss here. Your profile says that your mother lives with you. Then you say she lives in public housing, presumably "Section 8?" Please clarify.

Thank you all! Fortunately, mom is extremely healthy and requires no prescriptions, monthly doctor visits, etc. She did go to an Urgent Care facility a few months ago for an ear infection (oh and was billed, and paid $88 so something was definitely wrong! My guess is she did not provide all of her cards) but prior to that, her last medical procedure was about 8 years ago. Very long story short, I agree with the majority and it is not worth pursuing. If she were to be reimbursed, it would not only impact her resource limit but also quite possibly her rent. She lives in public housing and her rent is based on her (minimal!!) social security income minus her insurance co-pays and maybe 1 or 2 other factors. Live and learn…sometimes a very expensive lesson!!

Harpcat: Your point of tax implications was a secondary thought, but nonetheless a good one. If you itemize, you must reach 10 % above AGI to be able to qualify for medical. In regard to the OP's question, she should show up at the insurance office with attorney (if at all possible). You may have a better chance to get refunded past premiums that way.

Nikki, if you're still around 6 days later, I believe it would be considered that your mother initiated and continued the BCBS coverage of her own free will, that she was not coerced, and could have realized she didn't need it by doing some research.

This is not a criticism, just the factual way it would be viewed.

It's incumbent on each of us to do the necessary research and make our own decisions as to whether to carry supplement or gap insurance.

And in my experience, if premiums aren't paid after I believe it's 2 months, BCBS stops coverage; in any event, it wouldn't pay for any of its portion of costs incurred during that period.

That raises another issue; BCBS could state that, if it did pay anything during the period of coverage, it would have the right to recover those payments.

This is a sad situation, and it's kind of you to share it; people can always see this a situation that they should avoid.

One note, is that if you itemize your mother's deductions at tax time...the premiums are tax deductible. I agree...she contracted insurance in case she needed it. It is not the insurance company's fault that she didn't use it. Cancel if it's no longer needed.

When I applied for Medicare the person at the Social Security assigned me a SHINE councilor. The person is suppose to help you navigate the Medical system. I would find out who your Shine councilor is and let that person find the answer to your question,

1 2 3