Income for home care?


How can I get payed taking care of Mom?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


The most common question in the AgingCare Caregiver Forum is "How can I get paid to care for a family member?".

The vast majority of family caregivers do not get paid for the provision of care.

However, a loved one may use out-of-pocket retirement savings for this purpose. If a family member has enough funds to privately pay from savings, it is important to formally complete a Personal Care Agreement. Prior to receiving any payment, this document should be prepared to outline the services provided as well as the payment to be received. A personal care agreement can not be created retroactively to pay for past care.

The Caregiver Forum is a great place to come for answers. Additionally, I'd like to offer the following AgingCare articles as reference points:

To understand the purpose of and create a formal agreement between family members, please refer to:

It is important to note that most outside sources of pay will only pay for medically based home health care provided by an authorized agency. For a general overview regarding paying for care, please refer to:

And finally, if you would like further information regarding the decision to hire a home care company that fits your needs and your budget, please refer to:

If you are new to caregiving you will likely have future questions. There are many answers from experienced caregivers here. Don't hesitate to come back and ask.
Helpful Answer (0)

This is a frequently asked question. Most of us do not get paid to care for our LO. If your LO that the funds to pay you, that is one way. I have also heard that some states will pay family a small amount of money IF the LO qualifies for Medicaid. You could look into that as well.
Helpful Answer (0)

Terri, the vast majority of grown children who are caregivers for their parent do not get paid.... unless the parent can pay you a salary from their savings account.

Otherwise, you may want to see if your Mom can qualify for Medicaid [which is different from Medicare]. Depending on your State, your State may or may not offer a program where a family member can be paid. If yes, please note the pay would be very minimal.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.