Anyone see an improvement with dementia when parent's are getting oxygen or nebullizer treatment?

Don't know if it's just a coincidence. My 93 year old father has dementia, CHF, AFib, PAD. I swear when he gets these treatments on a daily basis his mental state improvements. Not to the point where he could function and drive again but he is more lucid and more himself.

I'm just curious if others have found this to happen. It makes sense to me. The more oxygen to the brain, the better the brain functions.

24

Answers

1 2 3
Am nusig a lady with Dementia and insuline dependant diabetes spends more than 10 hrs wondering, she is supposed to have24 hrs oxygen because of her COPD

Oxygen toxicity is not normally a problem for adults inless you have COPD. Then less additional O2 is better,, maybe 2 to 4 liters. Nebulizers are normally Albuteral or Atrovent for opening the airways. I think both could help, but not cure.. by making more O2 available to the body and the brain.

CM I won't be wearing out any backpacks. By hell or high water I intend to get a portable concentrator even if i have to buy it myself!

Veronica do not frighten people, not even tongue in cheek. And may you wear out many more back packs yet!

Katiekate should I just re-order my headstone again or just tell you it is co-incidence. I have been on oxygen for 18 months now and have no intention of dying within the next few weeks God willing.
Medicare (and probably Medicaid will only pay for oxygen when the oxygen saturation goes below 88% without it which is the reason people are denied.
At home most people use a concentrator that does not deliver pure oxygen as it is pulled from the atmosphere. When using tanks that is indeed pure liquified oxygen and can be very dangerous as it will ignite far more quickly than the concentrator variety.
Most people out side the home will be using the pure tanks so don't sit granny close to the backyard fire pit so she can keep warm for the BBQ.
There are light weight concentrators than are battery powered but try getting one of those out of Medicare as they cost around $2000 and can only deliver 3-5 liters so if you need more than that or to use for many hours you are SIL. there are longer lasting batteries and of course they can be plugged in to recharge but the convenience of them is that they are very lightweight and can be worn as a shoulder bag or back pack.
I am only using mine at night now but that limits traveling. They do supply tanks that only weight five lbs and fit in a back pack but I can't get them on without assistance and it is too heavy for my poor back. Imagine going into Walmart alone (which I can do) and wanting to try on a blouse. I can see all the associates running for the nearest exit and the loud speaker saying. "All Associates report to the break room for an emergency meeting"
these days I only have to wear mine at night for my COPD but do get out of breath at times when out.
Oxygen does help a lot and because it supplies more oxygen to the brain will help keep dementia at bay. Farewell my friends only five days to go.

Katiekate,

I thought my dad was the only one. But once he needed oxygen he only lived another month. I know everyone is different, but here I thought it would help him live longer. It still breaks my heart.

What I have found is that going on oxygen is a sign the end is near.

My sample is only 3 people, But in all three cases, it seems their bodies quickly became dependant on the added oxygen...then in quick succession required greater and greater concentration. My Dad was only 1 month on oxygen. My Great Aunt lasted 3 months. my grandma was less than a month. All of them struggled with CHF for years...but ended quickly once oxygen was introduced.

My grandma has CHF and pneumonia. I have noticed when she starts wheezing, she starts to talk nonsense more and gets agitated. I pull out her nebulizer and give her a treatment and help her breathing return to normal and even if she fights at first, within seconds of the treatment, she relaxes and is more herself. She will talk about/to the people in the room rather than about dead people or random nonsense topics. Helping her to breathe better is definitely helping her and healing the pneumonia.

My father was on it then wanted to take a break while we went on a 2 week vacation. First week he was fine, 2nd, cognitively he was not. when we got home he took a fall. it took us a little while to realize that the oxygen he had been on played a big part in this. Dad had CHF and sleep apnea.

CHF is not chronic heart failure, it's congestive heart failure.
Hyperbaric oxygen will definitely oxygenate the brain and the heart as well, very beneficial.

1 2 3