I'm terrified of toenails, but they need care.

I can deal with so many disgusting things, insects, body fluids, rotting garbage, road kill. But for some reason my father's feet freak me out. His toenails need to be dealt with. You have no idea. Or maybe you do. You could trim off yellow guitar picks. Who can I hire to deal with cutting his toenails? He's not able to walk and I think that he'd find a pedicure in a salon humiliating. Is a podiatrist overkill? I just can't bring myself to trim them. My mother's hands are too shaky for me to suggest that she do it. My understanding is that it is forbidden for CNAs or nurses though he's not diabetic.

69

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Part of the diabetic foot care is to NOT soak them; I think it makes the skin too soft and it's easy to get too hot, which someone with nerve damage won't be aware of. Probably good to be careful of vinegar, etc. I've gotten in the habit of creaming my feet before I put my socks on--you can get foot cream but leftover hand or face cream works. Helps keep the skin from cracking.
Reply to partsmom
Llamalover47 Sep 19, 2018
partsmom: He is not diabetic.☺
(0)
That is too funny that you can deal with all of the other disgusting things. I cannot handle the phleghm and body fluids etc. I can handle the toenails!
Reply to Anniepeepie

Our local ASAP had a contract with a nursing group that goes to consumers homes and does foot care every 8 weeks.
Reply to EllensOnly

We have a foot care specialist that comes to the house and is paid for by Medicare. My dad is diabetic so that might be why we get the service but it is worth checking into.
Reply to Babs75

Once has a person has developed toenail fungus as well as thick toenails, they are extremely hard to manage. The podiatrist may give you an ointment to apply, which usually does not work. There are oral meds one can take. They say if soaked in Listerine that it MAY work.
Reply to Llamalover47

Medicare pays for home visits by podiatrist
Reply to Mac124
rocketjcat Sep 18, 2018
My experience was the podiatrist first visit was paid by Medicare. He told me only if she had diabetes (she doesn’t) would more visits be covered so I paid $50 out of pocket for subsequent visits.
(1)
Podiatrist
Reply to Llamalover47

My dad has disgusting yellow toenails too. He now goes to a podiatrist to have them trimmed. Well not really trimmed; more like saws and chisels! Seriously a regular toe nail clipper isnt enough because they are so thick.
Reply to mlcjohnson

The podiatrist is the best place to call, because they are foot specialist. To my way of thinking one should never ever go to a nail salon for feet pedicure,why? They are not doctors, not clean, can be very nasty and pass germs to everyone.

Also, if he has long thick toenails (fungus) ask the podiatrist Dr for a prescription Ciclopirox CREAM 0.77%. Apply on toenails around and under the nails in the morning and at bed time.

After using the Ciclopirox Cream, in 2-3 weeks the skin pulls away from the toenails, making it easier to clip without any pain; do this in the morning and at night. I did this for my Dad, and I also, use the cream morning and bedtime.
Reply to Flaca2018

Bok,
Don't feel bad, everybody has their "gross out".

A podiatrist would be the one to choose. Especially if he has nail fungus that turns the nails thick and yellow. These are very hard to cut.

You are right, a CNA is not allowed to cut hair or nails in all the companies I know of.
Reply to SueC1957

1 2 3 4 5