I'm in search for a medical alert system that would contact me and other family members that won't have monthly fees and isn't costly. Any suggestions?

Mom lives by herself. Looking for a Medical Alert System that would contact only certain family members. Mom is on a limited income, and I'm looking for a system that doesn't have a monthly fee, and won't cost an arm and a leg, as my siblings cannot help me with this financially.

28

Answers

1 2 3
Has anyone heard anything about Bay Alarm Medical? I'm narrowing down my search.

Thank you all for your responses! they have been extremely helpful!

My dad has one and got it from caring for the aging. There was no charge. He wears it around his neck.

We got our mother a system from Medical Guardian- $400 per year, no monthly charges and you can program it to do what you need. I am in Massachusetts. Not sure what is available in your area.

I purchased Mobil Help for my mom. She pays 246.00 every six months. She has the fall alarm that goes around her neck, the push button bracelet for her arm and I also have the GPS that she takes with her in her car.
I have programmed the names of contact people. I can track her on my cell phone and I also have a key in a specific place where emergency personnel can enter her home if necessary. I am very happy with the system. If she sounds the alarm, someone will talk with her over the system

Youre on the perfect discussion site.

There is a company that works hand in hand (sorry I don't remember the name) with Aging.com

I have spoken with them. If I remember correctly, you must commit for 90 days then it's monthly; THERE IS NOT A CONTRACT TO SIGN like home alarm systems.

They will have an alarm similar to home alarms so if there is a break in. They have the choice of necklace type personal alarm or watch type. They have certified 911 personnel and it will be a 3 way conversation so you will be able to instruct EMTs etc as to what you want done.

I found them when I first joined this site.

So much good advice here🙏🏻

Piffier1, making over the limit is never a reason to not be on medicaid. There's a solution for that. Setup a miller trust and pay back the government some of their SS. Then they will be under the limit and thus eligible for medicaid. It's a silly hoop that the government makes you jump through.

Having said that, I never understood why there seems to be two rules for medicaid. Under expanded medicaid, it's no longer asset based. It's solely income based. So you can be worth a billion dollars and if you make less than $10K year you can be on expanded medicaid. Yet the older asset based system still seems to be in effect for older people. I guess there's a age limit to expanded medicaid and people get switched over to the older asset based medicaid.

In response to LittleMidnight, everything is free if your on Medicaid. My parents make barely over the limit so we spend beaucoup bucks on their medical needs.

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure this will help.....we got a Doro PhoneEasy 620. A cell phone designed for seniors. Has assistance functions including a help button which switches the phone to speaker and dials the first of five contact numbers you have set up. It calls unril someone answers. It also has "ICE" where you enter medical information that emergency services can access if needed saving valuable time. Bigger buttons, louder tone's, option for sight or hearing impaired etc...and does everything a cell phone does. It is not a smart phone. When mom's cell phone contract was up we signed up with another provider and received phone free. Mom doesn't use cell phone for calls, doesn't use data etc so the bill is about $25./month. Totally reasonable.

The senior services unit of the Collier County Sheriff’s dept has a FREE service whereby they call your loved one in the morning, you pick the time, and if something is wrong they will contact you. I know for a fact about this, because I’ve used it when I was living up north before I moved down here in 2008. If you live in Naples, FL you can call Angela Larson @ 239-252-0232 and inquire.  My mother ended up loving this, because the caller became a friend for my mother, mother and friend was sad to see us stop this when I moved down. You can also look in the Senior Blue Book for other resources, which is a book that is printed all over the U.S.
There’s also: http://info.iamfine.com/pricing/

1 2 3