Find Care & Housing
home owners insurance policy
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to KNance72

As BG said - if you are a resident of the home - legally - then the homeowners would cover it if you claim it. Or you would claim it on a renter's insurance policy that you would have initiated when you moved in. (good examples of this are the renters insurance we are required to keep on our storage unit, in addition to the insurance the facility itself has. Another is the renters insurance my SIL and BIL have on their property, in the rental house they are staying in currently. However, when they lived with my FIL and were taking care of him, they had mail that came to that address - and they were covered by his homeowners in the event of an issue)

However, if you are an undocumented (under the table, no taxes, no contract) live-in caregiver - there may be little recourse.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to BlueEyedGirl94

You would be.
Your Homeowners Policy or your Renters Policy should cover destroyed items.
The problem might arise if you have not been living at all in your house or apartment and it was vacant. Some policies may not cover vacant property
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Grandma1954

The homeowner's insurance policy is responsible to pay you compensation for your things. Only if the home was your legal residence though.

I knew of a case where there was a flood not a fire, and the homeowner had a live-in caregiver. The caregiver was under-the-table though and there was no record of her living there so the insurance company refused the claim.

If you're on the up and up and can prove you legally live and work there, you probably won't have any problems with the insurance.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to BurntCaregiver

I would imagine that the homeowners home insurance would cover whatever you lost in the fire, but often insurance companies don't move too quickly to pay out what they owe the homeowner.
Have you made a list of everything that you've lost and turned it in to your employer so they can get these items reimbursed by their insurance?
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to funkygrandma59

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter