California Lottery is 400 Million dollars tonight. What would you do with the money, if you won 400 million dollars?

In an effort to be able to talk about a few lighthearted subjects, like "Whats for Dinner?" here is another question to contemplate!

I realized today when I bought my ticket that my priorities have changed as I have aged and become a care giver, so I thought this might be an interesting question to ask everyone.

28

Answers

1 2 3
I would still continue to live my current lifestyle, still drive my 20 year old Jeep, and put a majority of the money into a Foundation where stocks can make it grow. Then I will donate to whomever I read or see on TV that was doing a good cause. Like donate to PBS to keep it going.

I would set up scholarship funds to students who cannot afford to go to college. Start off at community college, then transfer to an University commuting distant from home.

Oh, I would set aside money for my old age care. After seeing the sticker shock of "cost of growing old" I want to be ready.

Gershun,
That is so wise!
Adding to that plan, I would also hire someone to be me and make that appearance for me.

And everyone should have a cat sanctuary for something to do!
I would have dogs, 107 dalmation rescues.

Send! I don't know what it's like in the states but here in Canada you have to agree to appear on t.v. holding an oversized replica of your cheque on national t.v. So, first thing I'd do is get a mask so nobody would come out of the woodwork looking for their share. Then I'd hire a financial expert to help me. Once I got all my ducks in a row, I'd plan a family get-together, give everyone a reasonable amount, make them all sign an affidavit stating that if they spend all their money that's too bad for them cause I'll be a long gone Sally and there's no more where that came from. I'd have a nice house built somewhere pretty, donate lots to various charities and live out my days in peace. I might start a cat sanctuary too for something to do, cause everyone needs a purpose in life. Ta Da!!!!

Guess I would like to try the concept of treating others how they have treated me.  Or change my name and disappear.

Sorry, this is just a joke, I was trying to think outside of the box, instead of how I would spend it.

Bringing this back to the top, maybe the thread has some comedic possibilities, now that it is soooo old.

first I would change my pants... because first you say it then you do it... (aww heck I'd buy new pants). Then I would get my Dementia Dad into the absolute best facility money can buy. Then I'd send each person who left us here alone and w/out help a picture of my sun burned bare behind on a beach in the Bahamas... then who knows? have FUN! Help people and play for the first time in my life.

id go to the wacken metal fest and get as f-ed up as hogans goat.

After the government took their share I would set aside in a living trust enough money to pay caretakers to come in to take care of me, in the new efficient home that I would buy, and I would plan a vacation to celebrate being able to care for mother in a nursing home. And I would donate a lot to homeless shelters and make sure each of my grandchildren had a trust. I would divide the rest in half. One half for retirement, and one half for my children when I die.

After paying taxes, I would buy a house for each of my 3 kids, and a decent car. I would then buy that motorhome my husband and I have been wanting, and put the rest of the money in income producing investments. Then we'd hire someone to watch Mom, hop in that RV and travel a while.

I'd take time to write my poetry book, "All The Pieces", and also to work with a screenwriter to transform my manuscript about my mother's life into a screenplay.
I think I'd spend more quality time with my aging parents, and sister. I'd give back to people who have helped me in some way. I'd make a movie about a woman who is a quad. who just published her first poetry book and tell of her amazing life to inspire others to never give up.
I'd also spend a lot more time in meditation retreats.
And hey, I am going to work on all this stuff, with or without money.

Make sure my mother will always be able to stay in her own home until she dies, set up trust funds for grandchildren, give a yearly tax free cash gift ($14,000 right now) to my children, donate yearly to local animal shelters, pay off any remaining debts of mine and adopt another dog from a shelter. That is just the start.

1 2 3