If you have an elderly person who has been diagnosed with mild dementia but no POA in the family can they be admitted to a facility without their agreement?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Mini320, the only way I can see getting that person immediately admitted to a facility against his/her will is by getting court-ordered emergency guardianship, which will include having said person declared incompetent by a doctor, court visitor, attorney ad litem, and judge. If the person with "mild dementia" still understands what a DPOA is and is willing to sign it, then you may be able to get it notarized and later, after the dementia has progressed to the point that a doctor agrees that the person is no longer competent to make decisions, you should be able to use it to admit that person into a facility against their will. But please tread lightly on this elderly person as even those with severe dementia should still be treated with respect and those with mild to moderate dementia should be allowed to make as many of their own decisions as their conditions allow without endangering themselves.
Helpful Answer (0)

I didn’t get POA until after my mom was accepted into a facility. I was still able to sign papers to admit her because I was her only living relative. Now, I DID get POA (through Legal Zoom) within 2 months after she entered the facility but if this lady has dementia,she won’t be fit to sign and you may have to go for guardianship.

Is the lady fighting going to a facility? In that case you may have to enlist the help of other family members and her doctor to determine the best way to convince her to go. The “Theraputic Fib” can work. “You need to stay here until the doctor says you’re well enough to come home.”
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter