I know that I don't bring grandma home she will get worse. Am I making the right choice?

About a month ago my grandma started getting weaker, had a few falls, a few moments of confusion, then last Tuesday, she went a little crazy so I got her to the doctor where she was diagnosed with dehydration, UTI, and high calcium levels, she stayed in the hospital over night where she was given IV fluids came home with antibiotics, then this Tuesday she fell again I called an ambulance where she was admitted for the last few days mostly because of dehydration everything looks good. Every day when I go to see her she looks worse she barely even talks anymore she is confused. She is weak the doctor is ordering in home physical therapy, they said I can take here home tomorrow she lives with me, my cousin has been nagging me to keep her in the hospital, I need to get her home, she is not the 86 year old grAndma that I. Brought in, I have set up caregivers and she will get the therapy, and if this doesn't work we can do the rehab in a nursing home. I know that I don't bring her home she will get worse. Am I making the right choice?

28

Answers

1 2 3
Question, where r her children?
Where I live, if hospitalized and they feel therapy is need, they suggest rehab. Medicare only pays fully the first 20days and then 50% up to 100days. While in rehab, you can have loved one evaluated for longterm nursing. If found they qualify, this is the easiest way to get them in. Only problem, isif a bed is available in the facility you would like.

Grandma came home on Saturday, the first few days were tough very confused did not do basic tasks, but now except for a few things she is doing great, the caregiver is awesome, she is eating more than she has in a while, drinking water as she does not want to go to the hospital. she is getting up and using the restroom, dressing herself. she does not want help. The nurse that came yesterday was surprised how with it she was. the therapist starts tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated.

Regardless of what decisions need to be addressed, just be informed! Ask questions... If there is a treatment (Rx, PT, etc.), ask how long before reasonable results should be expected? ... If evaluation tests (for any reason) are ordered, what will the results help define? Know your options with the best interests of grandma at heart.

Good luck. And keep reaching out, we are all out here together; what one person knows can teach someone else, who in turn pays it forward.

I think you are making the right choice for now. The in-home therapist will be able to show you and her what she needs to do to be safer so she doesn't fall again. UTIs definitely cause confusion and delirium that can result in not eating and drinking enough, so keep an eye out for its return. Imagine if that happened in a strange environment with strangers around her? I believe that it is better and easier for anyone to recuperate in their own home if possible.

If you can do it take her home. I wish now that I would have brought my mother home either to he house or to mine. Her time after that last hospital visit was very short and I so wish that she could have sent those last days where she wanted to be.

Do you think you can hydrate her with an IV? If she is badly dehydrated, and hallucinating, getting fluids into her is going to be difficult. She probably has dementia and will be going downhill from here. All the efforts in the world will not prevent a death and you need to come to terms with that. Best wishes!

Tell her doctor that you are afraid that if you take your grandma home she may not survive. Hospitals do not like to keep the elderly under medicare rules unless someone states the situation is crucial. Then ask the Doctor to sign and order for PT at a skilled nursing facility to gain strength back. Medicare will pay this at 100% for the first 20 days as long as she is receiving PT. That will give you time to monitor her and decide what is best.

Best wishes 1teach. Many would not care to try it. Hope all goes well!

We are getting therapist 4 times a week, I am going to try this and they said I have 30 days for the nursing home therapy doesn't work

FF, it is so terribly sad about your mom. I am sorry. These elderly get so darn stubborn, and often causes problems they ordinarily would not have. See it in mom's hubby all the time, refusing recommended treatment, and thinks he can do everything. Why, he was in the closet at ALF to get out financial paperwork to go through at 2:am because his daughter was coming the next day. He wanted so badly to show her he had everything managed. And guess what... He fell in the closet, he was not hurt, but all the same, thank goodness by then he had at least started to wear his fall pendant!

1 2 3