If I am going to be gone for 2 weeks, can I give temporary POA for my mom who has dementia to a friend?

She is in an assisted living home. Can I just sign a tempory POA for medical?

20

Answers

May be able to give someone permission to seek medical care in your absence, have it signed by notary. Just be sure you specify dates you are approving. And make a copy of your POA and insurance card. I would also call wards doctor to make them aware,just to cover your butt. There is a such thing as a surrogate guardian too, just an fyi
Reply to mpieffer01

I wish again to thank all for the info...yall have been very helpful... Since I am a only child and my mom is also its concerning when you want to take a trip.. I have spoke with the al and I have a great friend that will be here for my mom.. I just have to put in writing that she can take my mom to the dr or er and yes the cruise ships have emergency numbers for family to call.. I also have a DNR so that is taken care off ..
Reply to texasgirl45

This may sound terrible but sometimes I don’t want to be reached! When I am able to get away for a few days I don’t want to have to worry about where the closest airport is. Depending on how far your moms dementia is I would have her sign a paper giving instructions like the doctor suggested. Even years ago when I was a youth sponsor we had parents or guardians sign permission slips for us to be in charge until we got ahold of parents (not that many cell phones back then). Have fun on your cruise!!
Reply to pargirl

You may want to ask an attorney your questions/concerns just to be sure.
Reply to Llamalover47

Depending on where your cruise goes, you may need to contact your cell phone server to see if you need an international service added to your phone. Our son did this when he studied over in Europe one summer.

I think a cruise ship should have wifi for the jet I flew in to Hawaii from the US had wifi that worked the whole flight.
Reply to cmagnum

By the way any cost for a call to a cruise liner etc should be picked up by the estate not the P.O.A. trying to approximate a normal life especially for an emergency
Reply to moecam

For the record - plain old vanilla POA IS a temporary arrangement - that only comes into play when the person is temporarily incapable to make decisions, say unconscious or in a coma. Once the person regains capability, that POA goes away. Durable POA is a different animal. It remains in effect.

As others have said, no, you cannot appoint a deputy. If mom were capable, she could have an alternate set up, but more than likely she is not competent enough mentally for an attorney to do this.

Anyway... I think cwillie's comment would be best to follow up on. When we/I signed all the AL paperwork, there were medical directives to be set. Check with them on that. While discussing that, even if there are directives, you could ask them how you can handle the situation if/when you cannot be reached. They may allow some kind of affidavit, notarized and all that happy stuff for an alternate.

Sternotherus - you said "There are places where you can’t get cell service - if you’re a wilderness adventurer it can be a problem." I am FAR from being a wilderness adventurer, but I have to warn EVERY person I deal with, for myself, my cats, mom, whoever, that if I head out, usually SE but there are other similar zones in other directions, there is a 40 minute dead zone (I've dubbed it the Zombie Zone - you do not want to break down out there as there is NO SIGNAL!) I laugh whenever I see the US Cellular ads, where they say even "Way Way Way Out Here"... I laugh because even though it is not my provider, it IS the cell service that covers this area... Way WAY WAY WAAAYYY out here... You'd think I was living in the outback... I've had to drive 30-40 minutes away to activate a phone because their service picks up here... Oh wait, never mind the Zombie Zone - my phone can be in the house (connected to WiFi), with me, on the counter charging, in the backyard, whatever, and a call does not register - no missed call, no history in the recent calls... So I also warn them of this too and say if it goes straight to voice mail, there is no service so please leave a quick message - THAT might get through eventually, quicker than a call, and when I have service again I will return the call.

Now that I related the Zombie story, I recall that the AL actually did send mom off to the ER once after a tumble via ambulance because I was in that Zombie Zone and did not get the message until later. She was not really hurt, but since I was not available to make the decision, they made the decision to have her checked out just in case. So texasgirl45, definitely check in with the staff at the AL. Even if you have an alternate set up, what would they do if they could not reach that person? There must be some kind of medical directives on file.
Reply to disgustedtoo

Check with the cruise ship people and ask if they will have wifi on board. I would think so.
Reply to cmagnum

When my friends made me their POA, they also named a second and third person. When I leave town, I alert the third POA who lives in the same area. I also leave the phone numbers of each motel where we will be staying, along with our cell phone number and email address. We can be contacted easily. When we get to our motel, we check the cell phone and emails for any concerns. So far, no problems.
Reply to JohnnyJ

There are places where you can’t get cell service - if you’re a wilderness adventurer it can be a problem. I found this out while camping on an island in the Sea of Cortez for a week. It caused delays in my Mom’s long-term care insurance. Sorry, I know this is not an answer, but, rather, a caution. I hope you find a good solution.
Reply to Sternotherus