I'm exasperated and have run out of ideas to get my mom to drink water. Any advice?

I've tried putting a flavoring in her water. I enlisted her for ideas as to what we can do here to get her to drink water, thinking that having her part of the process would help. I tried giving her one glass of water after breakfast and one after lunch. I told her that dehydration was an agonizing way to die. (That she responded to once.) She was in great pain from having a difficult bowel movement and promised to start drinking water.
Still.......she refuses to drink water. Could this be her way of saying she wants to die?
I don't know what to do anymore....
cadams

17

Answers

Bump

Following. MIL will hardly drink anything.we do have small cups for her but find them on the floor or sat down somewhere. She is in late stages and we have tried water, juice, ensure, glucerna just about everything. She has to be told to drink constantly or she won't drink at all. She is fed by someone and needs bathroom help. We are in the beginning stages of incontinence and FIL says she has is constipated. She will not drink prune juice! We are not sure how to help her. Dr has asked about in home care but FIL does not want it. Any advice?

i dont care for water much . for years ive drank iced decaf coffee in the evenings . the slightly bitter tinge appeals to me much more than iced tea .

Does she drink any type of clear liquid? Maybe you could thin them out with water. Also, if she'll drink thicker things (like smoothies), add ice to them for some water. You can even thicken water with Thick-It powder and maybe flavor it a bit so it doesnt have the consistency of water.

Mum used to drink alot of water but lately she wont drink much but eventually after trying alot of things she is now ok with tonic water? its a bitter sparkling water and she likes it so whatever works!

Same thing going on with my mom...doesn't drink much at all and we have water bottles all over with 2 sips out of them! What she does like, however, are the neat little bottles of water flavorings, Mio or other/store brand. You just put a little squirt in there for however much flavor and sweetness you want in your water, and there's a huge variety of flavors, so maybe you can find one of those she likes. Good luck!

My Dad needs to drink more water because of constipation, but he said there is a side effect for all the water.... running to the bathroom. Ok, Dad, those are your two choices, one being constipated or running to the bathroom. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

I'm not much of a water drinker. But as a kid I use to because Mom always made Kool-Aid :)

I have the same problem with my dad. I found that the tiny water bottles work the best. For some reason in his mind he's not drinking very much with those tiny bottles so that really works. Also I cut up watermelon and put it in throwaway bowls in the refrigerator so he can grab one and sit down and eat it. He also likes the flavor drops in the water so we have various kinds of those. You just have to be tricky and outsmart them good luck!

Maggie....you have got to be kidding. Scared me to death, but I'm glad you shared. My mom does have kidney issues which we (the dr. and I ) monitor. This caregiving business gets so scary with the not knowing and the responsibility. God be with us all. Thanks again for sharing. cadams

I couldn't get my mother to drink water. She said the tap water tasted bad. So I bought the small bottles of bottled water. Now she drinks so much I can barely keep it in stock. Sometimes I find half-filled bottles scattered around. I just recombine them and put it back in the refrigerator. And, of course, I recycle the bottles. (I've also been known to refill them with tap water and refrigerate it. She never knew the difference. :)