Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on how I can motivate myself?

What is wrong with me? I don't shower until my daughter has me over and insists on it. One time she got me in the tub, I'm lucky I didn't break a tailbone. Yes I felt better after. I have a walk in shower at home. I'm afraid the pipe will break and we'll have to have the landlord send someone to fix it. I didn't have this problem until my husband had his open heart surgery three years ago. Ever since he healed up nice I have stopped doing dishes, cleaning and showering. I have a dishwasher but to get the dishes clean I have to wash them first by hand, then my wrists hurt. I did get them ready to wash about 5 days ago, they're still in the sink water and it stinks. I don't sweat and I do the laundry just fine and wear clean clothes. I'm only 64 and my husband is 70 and has stopped weedwacking the yard. I always loved a nice yard and a clean house. Is there something wrong with me as I have an excuse for not showering every time. Either because my toe hurts or I feel imbalanced. I'm not old, but I feel it this year especially. I feel hungry all day, want to eat at a buffet so I can get full, but I'm not but about 20 pounds overweight. I feel disconnected from my children and grandsons. But I spend every Saturday when my daughter picks me up and takes me to her place, which is very clean and nice. I want to show off my daughter and go somewhere to eat but she only wants to go to her house. Please does anyone have ideas or suggestions how I can motivate myself? No put downs please?

13

Answers

Moly,
What has worked before?

Can you post here again?

Add Vit D3 to your tests. Amazing how much better you can feel if it's low and you get supplementation.
Get a housekeeper and a lawn service to come in and get your home in order. It's easier to keep it up after it's been thoroughly cleaned. Play music. Take walks. Treat yourself to a Rose or two. A massage. A mani pedi. Go to a movie with your husband. Do just the simplest things to increase your enjoyment of life. You've begun by posting on AC. Best of luck on next steps.

It sounds like you are having some mild depression. I go through some times like that. When I notice it, like you are, I start forcing myself to do certain things. First, I get more sunlight, morning sun is great. Second, I start taking half hour walks twice a day...maybe start with 10 minutes and build to 30 minutes over 7-10 days. Third, I stop eating and drinking anything with lots of sugar.
Do those and spend time with those you love and hopefully you will be feeling better soon!

Countrymouse, that's an excellent suggestion. I can't believe that I forgot about it. When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I felt very sluggish. I just laid on the couch and had no motivation. Once I got on the meds, I felt much better. Be sure to see an Endocrinologist in addition to your primary. I found that primaries aren't as up on things as the Endo was.

Go to your doctor. Get your thyroid function checked while you're at it; but self-neglect, loss of enthusiasm for habitual routine, the stress and anxiety your husband's illness has caused you (even though you're not the patient, so probably don't feel you've any right to complain), the array of nameless fears... these all sound like pretty textbook depression.

Be kind to yourself. You need TLC too.

Sounds like it could be depression to me. Ever since my Mom died two years ago I've lost interest in a lot of things. T.V. shows I used to love to watch I can barely watch 10 min. of.
I have the attention span of a gnat now............barely have the motivation to win an argument. I used to love a good debate, now I'm like "okay, you win, yawn!" Can't be bothered.

I would like others have advised, get your vitamin levels sorted out. You may be low in something. I know with me that I don't eat a lot of meat so I get anemic very easily.

You are still very young at 64, in my opinion.
It is not over yet!

HolyMoly,
Can you tell us about when your husband had open heart surgery-about 3 years ago and he healed up fine? Were you his caregiver? You were afraid you were going to lose him?
He stopped weed whacking and your wrists hurt...who does the weed whacking now?

Sometimes with enough information, you can figure these things out. However, if you are depressed, or have C A R E G I V E R. B U R N O U T, that could explain t h e start of some of your symptoms. Don't allow the symptoms to get any worse before seeking professional help, and returning to talk it out with other caregivers in the know.

See the 'search bars' above (3 vertical short lines in blue), click on it and enter 'Caregiver Burnout' to see the many articles which could direct you in the right direction.
As others have advised, see your doctor to rule out other causes.
When 'normal' is mentioned, what is normal? Because after these last few years, with what you have experienced, you may not be normal if you weren't having trouble now. Returning to a higher level of functioning that you are comfortable with is most likely doable...but start now.

Keep posting with us here.

Yes, there is something wrong with you. As other have suggested it might be a vitamin deficiency or something out of balance in your body. This would be an excellent time to have a thorough physical exam.

One imbalance that won't show up in blood tests is depression. There are treatments for depression and anxiety. Tell your doctor what is going on with you and ask for a referral to mental health counseling if the doc thinks that might be appropriate.

Not showering because a pipe might burst is not rational, is it? Leaving dishes soaking in dirty water for five days because your wrist hurts doesn't exactly sound rational, either. I think you realize that you are making excuses. Please don't take this as criticism. I have major depressive disorder myself. I am not blaming you about this. But I am urging you to seek diagnosis and get treatment. Your life really can be satisfying again!