Any ideas on a solution to this problem?

My husband has to hold the walker with one hand when standing and urinating. Sitting isn't an option. He often sprays the toilet and floor etc. Any ideas how to remedy this? He possibly could lean against the bathroom counter to allow him to let go of the walker and use a urinal orbucket but would rather he use the toilet. Once in the bathroom he usually has an urgency problem. I know this may be a minor problem as compared but not for me. Thanks

25

Answers

1 2 3
Llamalover 47, a sense of humor is a requirement as well for caregiving. "What the h--- happened?" I've asked myself a lot these days. Yet with it all, mixed with sadness, I know. They say "like mother, like daughter." I believe it's true! Yes there are messes to be cleaned or something is ruined to be tossed. We really can't sweat the small or big stuff! God Bless

Blessings4Ever: Well, thank you. I am so glad to hear that you had the same kind of relationship with your mother. God bless you and your brother. Who knows--I might be that woman in the bed at some point in the future with my daughter bathing me and I'll be so appreciative. So goes the circle of life.

You are so right llamalover 47. It sounds like you had a lovely relationship with your mom. I was blessed as well. Nothing like helping our moms! Being a caregiver for my brother with ALZ I am assisting him 24/7 these days. Dynamics were never the best, his choice, but I was never one to abandon family, loved ones. Many ask me, "How do you do it?" It has become apparent to me that instincts take over, everything that needs to get done for him does. It takes a lot of time, encouragement, sometimes fibs these days but cleanliness is a top priority. Resistance in assisting him from day 1 has been a challenge. Due to his behavior, finding and keeping help has been difficult, but, I never stop looking because it can get exhausting, there's doom and gloom. If an aide is the "right fit" it's a smooth sale for him, a prayer answered for me. I know my brother went thru the "dignity" thing, I know I am not the person he wants helping him, but I am "it" a lot. I have cleaning his area down to a science and have made it a cozy and safe place. Due to this d--- disease don't know if it matters to him these days, but, it does to me. We do the best we can if we chose, it's not the right choice for everyone. God Bless Caregivers

We will, more than likely, all have to modify what home concessions we had in our younger years. I feel for this man, knowing that he doesn't want to lose his dignity. But I believe at some point dignity leaves the building and he may be glad for aid. I bathed my late Mother's entire body towards the end  and she said "thank you, dear." This response came from a very modest woman!

A couple suggestions--
#1 A higher toilet
#2 A bidet toilet
#3 A bedside commode

If your husband is not suffering from any memory impairment, Thank God, this is a "fixable concern." There are a lot of good suggestions, but, it really comes down to how far you want to go with this? Do you have a 2nd bathroom for yourself? If yes, great, let him have his own "man space." You also have to ask yourself if you are ok with "hands on," holding a urinal? Is he in need of Depends at this time, with no reluctance? Are you "on board" transitioning him to the Depends in lieu of "real underpants?" The Depends do help if the urgency comes on suddenly or if he is out, less embarrassment for all. If he is starting to have incontinence issues they get worse. The assistance he will need, the clean up work involved is a reality. A priority is keeping things easy for you and there is no need to apologize for caring about being concerned with cleanliness. I'm a caregiver and fanatical, not ashamed of either. Keep all your cleaning supplies handy and in a carry all; disposable gloves, paper towels, a swifter mop, a disinfectant cleaner, a deodorizer. Open windows. For safety concerns, a light clean up versus heavy, may be the better option. I am sure there are many caregivers faced with "yukky deeds," they may not want to put it out there. It is what it is! God Bless

There are urinals for me. They put their penis into it and pee. Dump the pee and wash it out. Job done.

If using a portable urinal, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to let it sit and not clean and empty it after each use.

Why can't ur husband sit? Hard to get back up? If so, use a commode over the toilet. The back bar can be taken off so it fits better. You could use the bucket but there is a splash guard that goes where the bucket would go. This way he has the arms of the commode to balance him. You can adjust the legs to make higher. When I worked, people like this idea.

There are plastic devices which men can use. They can pee into that "container" and then it can be dumped and washed. Check out the local drug store or go on line and look for medical supplies.

1 2 3