Any suggestions and ideas for air travel/vacation with my Father (90)?

For my father's 90th birthday last week, we surprised him with a trip to Florida - specifically to attend the UDT/Navy Seals Museum Muster with the WWII UDT Veterans group on November 7th. It will be a nice break from the cold in Maine & these Vets are his peers (so no big drinking parties or swinging from the rafters) - after the Muster & associated events, we'll spend 5 days with my daughter in Fort Myers.

Pop is in excellent shape for his age - gets around on his own (a little slower since Mom passed), he does have to wear a diaper at night due to enlarged prostate, the only med he takes has to do with his prostate, blood pressure is good, both hearing aids are perfect & brand new (thanks, VA), his vision isn't too bad (also new glasses & such), has all his own teeth (minus one or two)...so there isn't a strong medical based concern about him traveling.

We've planned the trip based upon his needs and low speed. He's traveling with my sister and myself - my three adult kids are meeting us in Florida.

I think I've covered everything - making sure there are those "golf carts" waiting to transport us from gate-to-gate at the airports, reserving handicapped accessible hotel rooms (he doesn't exactly need them, but it helps make it easier), sending diapers to my daughter in Florida so he won't have to transport many in his suitcase, and preparing his carry-on items as required for him. Someone mentioned giving him those "airborne" pills to keep him from catching anything on the plane - what do you think? Also, any suggestions for snacks to carry with us during our travel days that the airline will accept? Any "lessons learned" from traveling with elders you'd like to share?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!

17

Answers

Sendme - I'd love to do the RV thing,,,but I do my best to avoid even driving my husband's truck! LOL - Airline tickets purchased. My parents used to pack we 3 kids in the back of a station wagon & drive from TN to CA for 3 weeks every other summer of my childhood. My father's from Los Angeles - we'd go see family. Started taking that trip when it was the old Route 66. If I had the means and the time off and the gumption, I'd rent an RV for a long trip across the west again with Pop.

If the roads are clear, I suggest traveling in a rented RV.

Yogagirl, good suggestion, and thanks for thinking of the practical issues.

I'd add extra batteries for cameras or smartphones as well as the chargers, a notebook or something to make notes on photos taken, especially names and phone numbers of others in Fontes' father's range in case they want to keep in touch.

Enjoy!! I suggest bringing along mini hand-sanitizers, and wipes to avoid catching a bug, and afternoon naps.

Fontes, I've noticed that the Korean Vets, and even more so the Vietnam Vets, avoid discussing their experiences, even with others at the VA. WWII was a different, much different war though.

We were standing in line at the Eligibility section at the VA once and a fellow about my age started a conversation, eventually mentioning he served in Vietnam, then developed the thousand yard stare. Obviously I didn't pursue the issue.

Your father is very lucky to have you and such a supportive and loving family. You'll enrich his older years with your care.

I think Windy's found himself a good deal. Let's hope his wife approves!

Mina, the Ireland trip must have been a real highlight for your mother, even if she had been before. And it seems to have been so appropriate. In retrospect, your decision was very wise and timely.

GA....excellent point!.....Windy, how about it?......Seriously, pfontes, sounds like you've done an excellent job and have this covered.....also, you have a loving extended family involved.....and, of course, most importantly, your Dad is still very healthy for his age and mobile. My sister and I took my Mom on a "surprise" Mother's Day trip back to Ireland when she was 88. Mom was still the "energizer bunny".....fantastic trip, beautiful photos and esp. memorable because sadly, shortly after that, things did start to go downhill for Mom. She will be 94 next month and is still beautiful, hilariously funny and in good spirits....BUT.....she now has moderate dementia and is wheelchair-bound after a series of serious falls and breaks.....sadly, her "travel-for-pleasure" days are over. So.....I say "GO For It!"....don't miss this opportunity....what a wonderful, memorable trip for your Dad and entire family....you won't regret it, and based on your post, EVERYONE, and esp. Dad, will have a fantastic time, in no small way, due to your excellent planning......ENJOY!

GardenArtist - I hope the time comes soon for you to take your Dad on the Honor Flight. Our fathers served as young men and that service shaped their lives tremendously. The WWII/Korean Conflict era soldiers seemed more closed mouth about their service over the years, but as elderly men (and women) they seem ready to accept the honor and thanks for their service and share it with us. It's important to them.

If the Florida trip works well, I'll be looking into the honor flight next. Pop was also in 11th Airborne as a paratrooper during the Korean Conflict - I made sure he got the window seat on our flights for the Florida trip! He has perked up a little since our big birthday "reveal" - I do believe he's looking forward to it.

AND....I'd be willing to share windyridge with you...I get him for inside work & you get him for outside work! *wink*

Windy's also an electrician so he can rewire your house for free! And he's interested in gardening too!

No I would adopt you, then you would be responsible for my old age care! I'll leave everthing to you in the will. There's no money but I've got lots of tools, a little rusty now, a couple old guitars, and I'll cut down on the booze!

I think this sounds like a great adventure, and what could be more exciting for a former UDT frogman than meeting with contemporary Seals?

I've been wanting to enroll my father for the WWII Honor Flights to D.C. but this isn't the best time now. Still, I think it would be nice just to be in a plane again even if it's not a WWII bomber.