Do I have to get a Massachusetts lawyer to do the POA? I have a good relationship with my Maine attorney and I'd prefer to have him do it. Thanks.

Find Care & Housing
Your son needs to understand what a POA is. He needs to sign the paperwork assigning you. I think he needs to be present and the lawyer explaining to both of you what is involved in a POA. Too many posts on this forum where people didn't understand what a POA entailed. Id your son cannot make an informed decision he can't assign a POA.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to JoAnn29

definitely Massachusetts. Has your son agreed to this if he is over 18? Is he capable of agreeing to this?
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to modernbird

POA is a fairly standard document and could most likely be well executed by any licensed lawyer with specialties in estate planning and/or elder/disabled law. There may be an advantage in having an attorney licensed in Massachusetts draft the document to take advantage of any special requirements or advantages available in Massachusetts.

I like staying with the one I know so I would probably ask your Maine lawyer if he or someone in his firm is also licensed in Massachusetts. If not, I would ask whether he would be more comfortable drafting the POA or overseeing the hiring of a Massachusetts licensed attorney to prepare the draft.

If you think you may need additional legal services in Massachusetts, then I would consider using this time to search for a good Massachusetts attorney.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to TNtechie

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter