I care for my ex-son-in-law who has ALS. His disability check just covers a day-time caregiver, they my wife takes cares for him the rest of the time. Are we entitled to any tax breaks? - AgingCare.com

I care for my ex-son-in-law who has ALS. His disability check just covers a day-time caregiver, they my wife takes cares for him the rest of the time. Are we entitled to any tax breaks?

1

Answer

Generally - if you provide more than 50% of a disabled adult's annual support you can claim him as a dependent thus reducing your taxes. There are some special criteria and you'll have to add up a portion of utilities ( electric, gas, water), mortgage or rent, plus medications, physical aides like shower chairs and insurance premiums will all count as "support". to be quite sure of what's possible it's best to talk with a tax specialist in your area. It might cost a few hundred dollars to wade through it all but it's worth it if you can take a good reduction in your taxes.