I reside in FL and my mother (82) resides in NY. I'd like to take care of her at least six months of the year. Should I establish doctors here?

Should I establish doctors here to meet any medical need should any arise? My mother’s diabetes isn’t well maintained.

4

Answers

I have spoken with my Mom about spending 3 to 6 months in Florida she was ok with the idea so it could be 3 or 6 months that would be her decision. I plan to speak with mom’s doctors and review her medical insurance she retired from the city of NYC so I’m not sure how it all work. I’m basically exploring options. I came across this site a few days ago and glad I did. Thanks for answering my question.
Reply to CherTeggs

How does your mother feel about 6 month stays in FL? if she is able to travel, does she want to?

Also, if your mother receives any assistance from Medicaid, it will stop at the state line. She cannot be on Medicaid in both states. If she is on a Medicare Advantage plan, you need to make sure that it operates in both states. Many of the advantage plans are only good in certain counties or states and not every doctor is part of their network.
Reply to Guestshopadmin

How is your Mom mentally. Any Dementia? Will she be able to take the drive back and forth or a plane trip. To answer your question, I would set up her diabetes doctor. Other doctors it would depend how often she sees them.