I read sometime ago about "ringing in the ears" being an early sign of dementia. Is there any truth to this? - AgingCare.com

I read sometime ago about "ringing in the ears" being an early sign of dementia. Is there any truth to this?

21

Answers

1 3
I have MS and I've had ringing in my ear my whole life since being a child I thought it was normal and someone mentioned I'm gonna have Alzheimer is there any truth to this ??? I'm 54 .

Jessie, we just got a new sound bar that seems to help a bit. There is relatively new technology that emphasizes the diaglogue. But, now the volume number that it has to be on just the tv became a psychological need. They had volume on just tv to 25, and I thought that was bad. Now with the sound bar, they still have to have it on 25! Though I will say it stays quieter in the kitchen. TV speakers on flat tv's are on the back. So, the sound is first being absorbed by whatever is behind it, in our case a wall, before it is projected into the room.

gladimhere, I hear you... barely. I'm going deaf from the TV set at 70. I feel like it is yelling at me and it really makes me edgy.

I have had ringing ears for many years. I always thought is was from ear infections I had as a child. And ruptured eardrums. Last rupture was probably 20 years ago. Have had my hearing checked and it is normal. Sometimes I think my hearing is better than most people. Course I live with two old folks that are terribly hard of hearing and the volume on the tv is what is going to cause me to go deaf. I would lol, but it really isn't funny, really drives me nuts!

I hope not. I have had ringing in the ears for years and I seem somewhat sane.

I heard that ringing in the ears was a sign of hearing loss. Maybe it is the final scream of auditory neurons facing their demise.

I've had ringing in my left ear for 40 years now -- constantly. Also lost hearing in that ear. My dad had this also. My ENT named it Meniere's syndrome. Early on, I was tested for a tumor on that nerve, and they discovered the nerve had died. They couldn't do anything for me then, so I went back to the ENT a couple years ago. He said they still couldn't do anything. I just don't pay attention to it. Actually, when I tune in to it, it's rather calming -- helps me clear my mind. I have no signs of dementia at 78.

It's an early sign that you need to see an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist. There are lots of causes and some are fixable. Ear wax can be removed. On the other hand if it is accompanied by high blood pressure, see the cardiologist.

If it's true I am in the later stages

My husband's nose runs and he has ringing in the ears. He was just diagnosed with dementia.

1 3