I quit work to stay home and take care of my father, can I get paid for his care? If so, how do I go about getting the pay?



Becky is right. When I was researching paid caregiving last year, I pretty much accidentally fell into the right website. After putting in our information (hubby isn’t a veteran) I found I could be paid $40 a week. The website suggested that if I wanted to be paid we should file for a reverse mortgage. Seriously.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Ahmijoy

BevsDadsCare, kudos to you for taking care of your father. If he happens to be a veteran who served during a war he may be eligible for the VA's Aid and Attendance benefit of a maximum $1,830 per month for a single veteran. If you think your father might qualify, before you actually have him submit an application to the VA, you should have a Personal Care Agreement (PCA) in place. And regardless of the VA benefit, if you think he may need to apply for Medicaid assistance in the next five years, then you should have a PCA in place before he pays you anything anyway, whether such payments come from his savings, a pension or Social Security. Any payment from him to you is considered as reportable income for IRS and Social Security purposes. You can read more about PCAs at https://www.agingcare.com/articles/personal-care-agreements-compensate-family-caregivers-181562.htm  Best wishes.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to bicycler

There is no program to pay for caregiving. If your dad has the funds, you can set up a caregiving contract with him. You can check with your state Medicaid office. Some states have limited waivers available to pay a family member for caring for a loved one. The amount paid is very low and only for a small number of hours per week. Most home caregivers receive no pay of any kind.
Helpful Answer (5)
Reply to anonymous439773