I need to get a guardian for my mother. Any advice?

She was given a court date last year, and said she was moving to Washington, but she did not. I live in CA and am planning a trip to OR to try and talk to someone in person who can help get her a guardian and to fill out form for Medicaid. Her husband is in assisted living in Vancouver, WA and has a guardian. She does not have his military info, which they said they could not continue without. HELP!!

5

Answers

anngreene94, I'm assuming that if you think your mother should apply for Medicaid, then she is below or will soon be below, Medicaid's income and asset limits. Given that assumption, I suggest that you call the Legal Aid office in Oregon to get the specific legal advice and assistance you'll need. You might also call the guardianship court for the county in which your mother lives to get suggestions about guardianship. Here's a website to get you started: oregon.gov/DHS/SENIORS-DISABILITIES/SUA/Pages/Guardianship-Resources.aspx
Reply to bicycler

Mom will need to be evaluated for a NH. She may not fit the criteria.

You Don't need Military info for Medicaid. If your Mom is getting Medicaid for care in a Nursing facility, she cannot have Aid and Attendance.

Who do you plan to be her guardian? A lawyer can set up filing but it cost money. Mom will have to be found unable to care for herself. There is a court hearing. Medicaid will allow you to use Moms money for this. Do u have POA. You Don't have to have guardianship to file for Medicaid. You realize that if you r not guardian, the person assigned does not have to keep you in the loop about Moms care. They make the decisions.

can you contact the VA and obtain a copy of (his) DD214?
Reply to Sendhelp

Do you have your mother's husband's guardian's contact details?

Has there been any kind of formal separation, or any conflict of interest between the two of them? I'm just wondering how come he's in a facility in a different state and your mother's been left behind.