I need help with nursing home expenses. Any advice?

I have a question similar to the one the hospice lady just asked. I am an only child of a mother who has had to go to the nursing home because of too many concussions. (She falls down a lot.) I live out of the country, and have come here to handle her affairs, and pay all the bills. The NH home refuses to take her credit card, though it has a huge limit, and it can pay anything else with it. When I asked them to set up a payment plan at the nursing home, they would not respond. It’s about $10K a month, plus the extra expenses of different therapies and medicines ... It amounts to about $12K per month. That is a lot to pay out of pocket, and it is depleting me VERY fast. I need to know if there is a way to recoup part of this before I go completely down? I’m pretty close.

7

Answers

Medicaid, not Medicare pays for nursing care for indigent people

Thank you all so much for all of the helpful advice. Yes, I do have her POA. The lady at the nursing home seems to be going out of her way to make things difficult for me, and I do not know why, I have been nothing but delightful to her, really. As it happens, I happen to know a really nice older man from church who is an elder lawyer, and I’d be very comfortable talking to him about this. I hope he will understand and give me a little break, though, because I really don’t have much left.

Go to the banks that she has checking accounts and request statements. Bring documentation with you but if they put up a fuss you will need to go to court for conservatorship which may take more than a month. You may be able to set up online banking if mom did not previously do this. You probably need legal help. You will still need more time to liquidate.

If you know that your mom has assets, You need to go to a certified elder attorney in her state. Take all the paperwork that you do have. They will help you find her records.
You may have to file for emergency guardianship to set things up for her.

Thank you! I honestly don’t know that, but my guess is yes, they do. And no, Mother cannot do that sort of thing anymore, she can’t speak. I did ask the lady at the nursing home this morning about it - She told me I had to bring in five years of financial records, which I simply don’t have,it’s just not here. If this is helpful, though, both my parents were retired from NASA after many years.

Why are you spending your money? You will never get it back. If you want to act on her behalf then you will have to file for Medicade for her and they will not be reimbursing you. If you cannot travel for a few weeks to get this in order then tell the nursing home that you will no longer pay for her. Tell them to seek a guardian/ conservator for her. The nursing home will have to go to court and will appoint someone to do this. It will include liquidation of any assets plus any fees associated with this assets followed by Medicaide filing.  

Has she applied for Medicaid? Does she have any assets? Is she in a Medicaid facility?

Do not sign your name to anything. Are you her POA?