I live in CA in an apt with 2 daughters who work and are in college. Mom who lives with us has dementia. How can I get help financially?

I work full time. She can still do things by herself and stay home alone while we are gone during the day. The only money mom has coming in is SS and her pension which isn’t a lot and will only last for about 6 yrs. Her money goes to 2 bills and her part of rent. How can I get help financially? I don’t make a lot of money but I do help her with groceries or just extra for her to enjoy a little fun.

6

Answers

Amusicamoma, Didn’t mean to offend. But sometimes we hear that on the forum and it can be problematic if she needed to apply for Medicaid NH assistance.
Reply to anonymous439773

Oh gosh no! I would never have hee pay my bills! They are hers. She, along with my 2 daughters help out with rent.
Reply to amusicmoma

Are the two bills hers or yours? If the bills she is paying are yours that may be considered gifting by Medicaid. She should not be using her money to pay your expenses.
Reply to anonymous439773

Or is her pension that will last for 6 years?

I think applying for Medicaid would be a good step. She might not be eligible right now, but it will be good to see how to plan for the future. Contact your Area Agency on Aging to see what information is available, and if they have advisers to help with the application.

One good benefit of Medi-Cal is financial help with day care programs. These generally include transportation. Many caregivers rely on this so that they can work. It is good that your mom is OK on her own now, but dementia will decline to a point where that is not possible.

There are other benefits while Mom is still living with you, also. No co-pays on medicine. Incontinence supplies. Dental exams and procedures. Sometimes in-home aides.
Reply to jeannegibbs

Does she have savings that will last six years? Is she on Medicaid?
Reply to gladimhere