I know of a situation where a man who is 90 and lived alone, now has an elderly daughter moved in with him. Is there an agency that can advise?


The daughter has two dogs that bark a lot and the man is miserable. What agency can help to advise how to correct this situation? The man is a member of my parish church, and others are concerned about the situation. Is there an agency in Pensacola FL to look into this and give advice? This is a recent situation.

Find Care & Housing


I appreciate all the advice and suggestions given here....thank you! It definitely sounds like this can be handled with a reasonable approach. There is one friend in particular who visits and understands the discomfort of the 90 year old man. I don't know how much the dogs bark; the man used to live alone in quiet, coming to church almost every morning, and to some of the social functions. His daughter moved in to be a caregiver....she sold her house.
Again thank you for all the input which I will share.

Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to anonymous819692

I just watched a PBS program that may be helpful and offer insights not yet considered.

The program is "Pets: Wild at Heart; Secretive Creatures". Series 34, Episode 06, 2015.

It's the most insightful program I've seen that addresses common activities of domesticated and semi-domesticated animals.

What I found interesting in connection with this situation is that dogs in friendly groups will bark rapidly to "call the troops" together.

So I would find out what is considered "a lot" of barking, whether this is slow, periodic barking or rapid barking, or even aggressive barking and growling. Also, find out whether the dogs engaged in this behavior before coming to live with this man.

If there's a change in their behavior in their new home, then it might be that the dogs are stressed and expressing it through barking. They need time to adjust too.

Even if they did bark at home, unless they're really, really old dogs, they might be able to benefit from training in a good, well run dog training class.

I think the church members are wise to be concerned, but I don't think that a "shoot the messenger" approach and bringing in outside people is going to result in a positive intervention, especially if APS or some other intermediary advises that the dogs should be removed from the situation. Then the caregiver might go as well, leaving the man w/o proper care.

And I think a more hands on approach is necessary to clarify what barking "a lot" really means.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to GardenArtist

I would do some research to find behavioral training classes for the dogs.

I think making an assumption that governmental intervention is appropriate requires a conclusion, not necessarily in evidence, that the man is uncomfortable with this situation.

Did this man specifically say he is miserable, or is this a conclusion of church members?

If he is, go for the training routine; perhaps the church can pay for behavioral classes for the dogs and salvage the situation, keeping the daughter's pets and turning them into positive reinforcement.

Dogs who are properly trained and have good temperaments are wonderful therapy for elders.

BTW, what support were church members providing before this man's daughter moved in? And was that why she moved in, to take care of him? If so, you need to balance the church's concern with the fact that this man may have needed care which he wasn't able to get otherwise.
Helpful Answer (4)
Reply to GardenArtist

ME, I would notify Social Services. The church or the pastor can't do nothing for offer advice..if you are really concern and its is causing the man to have discomfort in his "own home"..take the next step and notify "Social Authorities". :)
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to bettyboop77

Has the man contacted your pastor for help or mentioned to any church member that he is miserable in this situation? If not, your advice may not be appreciated and seen as interference. If he welcomed his daughter into his home and she is his caregiver, the dogs may just be something he will need to deal with. Chances are the dogs are also elderly and old dogs, like old people, get cranky. Do you know if the man, himself has asked his daughter to keep the dogs quiet?

If the man is being well cared for, calling Adult Protective Services will do no good. If the man accepts anyone’s help, perhaps church members could visit and possibly take the dogs for a walk. A tired dog is a quiet dog. Even teen church members looking for service points could be asked to walk or play with the dogs. If the daughter just moved in with the dogs, they are reacting to a new situation and may calm down once they are acclimated. Calling the humane officer or a rescue group seems rather drastic for just barking dogs. If the neighbors complain, it may be them who call. Living with continually barking dogs is very unpleasant. Is the daughter aware of her father’s distress or could he be telling her it’s ok? Someone who knows this man needs to visit and truly assess the situation. It’s sounds like you’ve gotten second-hand information and as I said, interference may be unwelcome.
Helpful Answer (6)
Reply to Ahmijoy

There are training collars that give a little shock . My sister did this with their dog
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to baskethill1

I do not know the caregiver, the man's daughter. I can give advice, if taken, through others who see this man.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to anonymous819692