I have been accused of abuse. What do I do?

Hello im a new nurse aide and i do home care only and liv in postions. I was doing a fill in one day for two days and i saw large bruses on this elder man. The man could not speak he was bed bound. I did not report what i saw because i was un aware i had too. I assumed the agency knew about them since i was only a 2 day fill in and i was new. The permit aide comes back and says she never saw those bruses on him before. She told the agency i did it. Which i would never do to anyone. The bruises looked like they where about a year old and large. So now i got terminated with a investigation pending on me. I don't want loose my license over something i did not do. I feel the agency should look at the two permit caregivers not me. I can't make a large make on a man in two days especially if i didn't hit him or anything. Im so angry the agency said if i saw the bruises i should of reported it. But i was never in a situation like this. Im new and have really no experience on these things.what do i do??? What if i loose my license omg. Please help me someone. Thanks.

29

Answers

1 2 3
Does it have to be abuse? Maybe he fell. My husband bruises so easily we don't even know what they are from. I grabbed his arm to keep him from falling, and he had a huge bruise there. The doctor explained that there is very little fat under his skin which makes the bruising easily created. My mother died at 94 and her skin was the same way. I see it on a lot of older people.

chris, the job requires that you report the bruises anything out of normal. the bruises can be from other things but that is not the point is that you have to report them to protect yourself and the patient. what does the cna's report say when she left? did she mention the bruises? were photos of the bruises taken and examined? did you call his doctor? some people are not meant for certain jobs reporting incidents are a part of yours. I think the other can should explain also. as the nursing home. other staff members must have seen this man during that time period they should have to explain also if not you have a problem

Retain a lawyer as you may need one if they're going to falsely accuse you.

thank you everyone for your thoughts I did learn the previous aides dropped him muti times so I assumed the bruises where from him falling so I thought nothing of it. I'm sad I lost a good job over my stupidity of not reporting. I deff learned an important lesson here always report.

older people's skin get thin and does bruise easily. my father in NH sometimes will have a protective cloth over them so that when they move him, or whatever his skin doesn't tear. my father had a shin injury about 40 years ago and the skin is darker red in color and thin and has already broken open when he was at home. and if this is in the mans own home and no cameras, the only thing would be to have a doctor come out and check this patient out and he should be able to determine if those bruises were recently caused within the 2 day stay you were there and should help your case. however, you have learned a hard lesson, report anything even if you think someone else already has. And maybe they (your bosses) were just testing you to see if you would report something and you didn't. this way they know whether their workers are honest and forthcoming even if they have been told 10 times that this man had bruises. good luck.

You can still make an Abuse Report with the protective agency. Report what you told us here--you went on a two day assignment and observed bruises. Your are not accusing anyone--you are making a required report. That way the agency will investigate everyone involved (which they will likely do anyway), and you will have made the required report, albeit not very timely.

Agree with Jinx. The CNAs can be put in an awful situation: darned if you do and darned if you don't, especially when the patient may have some form of dementia and make unfounded accusations.

Jeez, everybody jump on chriskiss when she's down! No need to accuse her of lying! I hope it works out well for you. No need to ask if you've learned something from this.

The other day when I visited my mother, she has stitches above her eye. They said she got out of bed and fell, which she well may have. She has an alarm, but they didn't get to her in time. Let's face it, they are at the mercy of the staff. Anyway, he could have gotten those bruises the same way, just fell, so why would they say you did it?

My Mom has CNAs 13 hours a day, 7 days a week. She (and I, too) have the bleeding under the skin problem mentioned by JessieBelle. The CNAs always report even minor bruises to the nurse supervisor, and I'll get a phone call. Mom usually doesn't remember falling or bumping, and from my experience, even a slight bump (or firm grip from someone elses' hand) can cause a skin bleed. During my periodic visits to Mom (when she only needs CNAs 3 hours a day), I always report any bruises I've noted to the CNA so they'll know when they bathe and dress her what had caused it, since she has a history of falls and broken bones.

1 2 3