I have all the medical financial POA of taking care of my Dad but my sister tries to take over. Advice?

My sister comes to town once or twice every couple years. She doesn't know all about my dad's health like I do and after a week she tells the caretakers at the group home to give him all the morphine he wants the nurse took him off of it because he was taken other pain meds for arthritis neuropathy I really too many drugs can do you in she can't just come here take over nurse has to go by my medical poa not what my sister thinks ?

17

Answers

Give him all the morphine he wants?? That sounds a bit dark.

I agree with ferris1. Yes, it would be really nice in a fantasy world if we could all play nice and work well together, BUT, if one person has the POA and it is on file at the facility, the facility is actually breaking the law if they do not adhere to that POA. The sister has absolutely NO RIGHTS to do anything other than visit and you can even stop that if it becomes a problem.

I guess I'm lucky, my brothers like that I'm handling it all.

Gotta love those siblings that come to "visit" every couple YEARS and think they know WTF is going on better than the sib that is with mom every DAY. And I know it's rude to put things in all CAPS and say "wtf" because I hate it when young people do that. But in some really bad scenarios even I will let it fly. And those sibs like yours (and mine) are it. Nothing worse than those who pop in after Many Moons and try to be helpful (to.assuage their guilt, I guess). I mean, why do they even bother with the visit. I'm pretty sure if mom's could go for a few YEARS without changing their kids diaper it would be child abuse.....OK now I know that's not quite a fair comparison. But.seriously. the out of town kids will always find their distance to their advantage, in avoiding a "visit." If there were a tax write off for visiting ones elderly parents, it might help a tiny bit. The local involved ones are always doing much, much more, and they Know What's Going On. Period.

I am sorry for the typos. I just cannot find them and I am horrible on this device.

I will say this, and this could be regulated by state, her drs iffice told me that info goes to anyone deemed to be in her charge or as her caregiver as far as their purposes. I did NOT like that. At all. And aksi hipaa is a joke, as they are regulating and fining institutions and do not give two whits about the patients. They can hand out your med records, leave them by the side of the road and be hit with a huge fine, but you cannot sue them unless you gave a state provision that allows it. The fines are collected to keep them in business.

But with that said, if directive is given by the poa, then that should be different. When I read the med POA we have on file it seemed to me to only be valid when she cannot make decisions herself, and until then the durable trumps all. Does this seem right? On the medical we, my sis and I, are jt period.

ferris 1 is so right about this! You are the legal decision maker. I am surprised at the group home workers for not ascertaining who has right to give orders! ( Also what about the ordering MD? Does he/she not have to approve changes?)

First of all, the caretakers at the home should have a copy of your Medical Power of Attorney. Next, if orders are changed contrary to your orders by anyone else, you can sue them. Tell your sister if she tries to change the orders again, you will get a restraining order barring her from seeing your father without you being present. I would give this group home a severe scolding, and tell them if they ever change anything again without your permission, you will find your father another group home.

I have the POA, financial and medical, because I'm the one who still lived near my Mom. No one at any facility should be taking orders or giving out information to anyone who your parent or you haven't listed that it's Ok to do so. This is a Hipaa regulation (The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act). No one should be changing meds at any facility WITHOUT a doctors order. I would assume this facility had already asked for the Medical POA when your parent was admitted. It is very important that you get POAs written up while parents can make decisions. Under Hipaa, doctors/nurses are under no obligation to explain your parents health concerns unless you are on the list OK'd by the parent. This goes for husbands and wives too. If a parent is not able to communicate someone has to speak for them and without a Medical POA, you can't by Hipaa. regulations. My daughter is secondary but only if I'm not available. The nurses spoke with her when I wasn't there and she was able to sign paperwork.

It is about guilt, as the other person said. My sister and I no longer soeak due to the POA, as I am primary and she is secondary, allowing that she is to step in in my abscence. She sees POA as an expression of our moms love or a popularity contest when it is actually a burden of running two households, one for a blind, angry, quarrelsome, sick woman who is very demanding and unappreciative. She sees the caregiver I hired as her bestie (blah blah just loves me! She makes sure I am wearing clean clothes and holds my arm when we walk! My neice just loves me, she takes me to church) while missing the fact that the cg is PAID to do this and my cousin, while wonderful to pick her up twice a mo for church, only does that. I am run ragged and she never says one kind wird, and my sister looked at me and said eff you, you wanted the POA, YOU do it all. WHAT? I did not. The attorneys chose me because I am disabled and home, she still works. But while she refuses to take mom to the hosp if called first, which she was twice, she will jump up to sign a document or answer a medical question. Huh? She has not spoken to a Dr about mom or filled a medicine or communicated about her in two years. Infuriating. My take is we should be sharing all medical info because I am sick and if she will not help, and if she does not want to be at appts because this is her mom also, she should know what the doc said. I could die, then what? She has cussed me like a dog. I told her to go away. I have offered her the Poa, she will not take it. This is tragic.