I have health insurance through my employer. I turned 65 in July, 2018; DH turned 65 in October 2018. We both applied for Medicare A and are enrolled.

In late September, I decided to retire as of Dec 1, 2018. My employment and my employee health benefits, under which my DH is covered, will end on Nov 30.

I have applied for my retiree benefits to start Dec 1.

I've been through the mill with the SS office. I was initially told that there was no problem with DH and I applying for Part B as part of the Special Enrollment Period that exists for us as we have had credible coverage. So no problem, right?

Except, first they lost the Part B paperwork.

When I went back today, they told me that, even though my husband has been covered under my employee benefits for 16 years, because he did not apply for Medicare Part B during his birthday month (October) he is NOT eligible for Part B to start until Jan 1.

I told them I thought that that wasn't possible; CMS couldn't possibly say that his IEP trumped the SEP.

They insisted (went through 3 agents, including the "expert") who told me that that is the correct interpretation.

Because I had proof that the paperwork from my employer was signed during the month of October (his birthday month) they say that he's eligible for coverage that starts Nov 1 (even though I'm still employed). He can be eligible for Nov 1 OR Jan 1. Just NOT Dec 1.

Does anyone have anything they can point to that says that this is not the correct interpretation of the law?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
When I had employees retire, I would have to fill out a Form CMS L564 for them to submit. Did your employer fill that out?
Helpful Answer (0)

All I understand is that getting SS and Medicare to cooperate in applying the rules (or Laws) is not likely. Keep trying.

Bumping this up.

I started with my complaint back in Oct. 2017. They fixed my husband's medicare.
Not mine yet, but there have been letters rumbling about something I don't yet understand that looks promising. However, my approach to visit the SS office regularly and ask them to explain, and filing an appeal has helped.
Helpful Answer (0)

Bumping up.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter