I have a savings bond from 30 years ago. I was finally able to cash it, but my mom refuses to give it to me. Is that legal?

2

Answers

Of course it is not legal for someone to prevent the rightful owner of property to use that property. Of course Mom should give you the savings bond.

But "legal" may not be the main concern here. Why won't she give it to you? Does she have cognitive issues? Dementia? Have the two of you been feuding for years? Does she claim you owe her money, or that the bond isn't yours?

Explain the situation a little more, and our responses can be more relevant.

JB, I am a bit confused. You mentioned that you were finally able to cash the savings bond that had belonged to you..... there is where the confusion comes in, are you saying your Mom won't give you the savings bond so you can cash it, or she now has the money from the saving bond. We need more clarity.