I am caregiver and PoA for elderly mother who is in SNF following hospitalization; there are decisions made by some nurses w/o notifying me.

She doesn't necessarily think through cause/effect thus I keep track of those things to ensure positive results with foods, meds, etc. Somehow the SNF is giving her double Norco for back pain that is largely anxiety and IBS caused. I'm getting the cold shoulder from some nurses yet I have been the one who has cared for her for 5 years and worked closely with her PCP. Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

14

Answers

How is Mom Wildflower?
Reply to Pepsee

I appreciate all the info provided, above. It turns out that the SNF is transitioning to a 'health & wellness' program in conjunction with the one good local hospital (not corporate) and though there are bumps in the process, their program is taking root. I am glad that 'the powers that be' led us there. I am also glad that Integrative Medicine is taking root locally (see NY Presbyterian Hospital) and nationwide, that treating the person rather than the condition is becoming the mindset (as it was decades ago), and that wise medicine from around the world is being heard.
Reply to wildflower73

One can almost see why the 92 year old lady did not want to be in a NH.
Reply to shad250

Thank you Pepsee. I even give them a paper with Moms history, Meds and doctors. I went to visit in the hospital and was told they had called in a doctor for a neurological consult. I asked who, was told, and ask why they didn't call "her" Dr. who had privileges at that hospital. Out of maybe six of her doctors, 3 had privileges there. Why would you not call me and ask if she already had a Dr. for such and such? Isn't it better to have a doctor who knows her see her, if he has privledges, then one that is flying by the seat of his pants. And if he doesn't have privledges the doctor seeing her consults with your doctor. I think a lot of mistakes and added tests could be averted. My Mom had one kidney. They wanted to run a dye test but her kidneys would have to be checked. Really, my Mom had the surgery at your hospital that removed her one kidney. The one she has works half capacity. Oh, guess we can't do the dye test. TG I was there or she would have had an unwarranted test. Oh, I also had that surgery listed on the papers I gave them. Nope, never looked at the papers. It also told them what foods she didn't like or couldn't eat. They gave her a soft diet and commented she ate no breakfast. What did u serve her, scrambled eggs. If they had read my paper they would have found she doesn't care for scrambled eggs. It was a constant battle and all they had to do was read the paper.

I also think it's important Mom's PCP is kept up to speed about any changes to Mom's meds.
Reply to Pepsee

I was called every time my mother’s meds were changed. Not for my permission, but just to keep me informed. I was also notified of any of her behaviors and there were quite a few. I had a very congenial relationship with the nurses and aides and was there quite frequently. Because of my attitude with her caregivers, they knew I trusted them. It was difficult, at first, to give up control, but  after a while I realized they knew much more about caregiving than I did.

I was told by a doctor our health system is broke. You have to be diligent when it comes to a loved one. TG I have an RN in the family. She wears her scrubs in the hospital or rehab and the staff jumps.

Shad, what I was saying, really, was the PCP is not consulted and I think he should be. Moms PCP has no privileges at our local hospital so he has a doctor who sees his patients. I was told one time when I asked a hospital doctor to call Moms PCP that while Mom was in her hospital they would do what they felt was needed. I could consult with her PCP after discharge. See, this is why I think mistakes are made. They make decisions at the moment and don't look at the patients previous record. My Uncle was almost given a medication in rehab that put him in the hospital because he had a reaction to it. TG my Aunt was there and asked what he was being given. He could have died if she hadn't told the Nurse thats what he was in rehab for.

Hi Wildflower,
Does your Mom have some type of cognitive decline? Is she able to answer questions for you? Have you asked her about the increased meds.? Did she ask for more? Was she examined? Had tests?
Reply to Pepsee

JoAnn29

What state are you in? Where I am, Cleveland Oh, anda Cleveland Clinic branch hospital used for my mom, the PCP doc does not "bother" the NH doc. PCP only gets involved if the patient is at the hospital.
Reply to shad250