Husband with tremors wants to use a CHAINSAW. How can I approach this?

My husband is 77 and had a serious accident in May. He does not drive any longer. BUT today I saw he had the CHAINSAW out. He has no upper body strength and he has tremors. I hid the thing and I need to suggest he not use it. What is the best way to approach that? I've already done it once and he said ok, now he either forgot or doesn't care. It is SO obvious chainsaws are not a good idea for him. Thank you.

11

Answers

It's in a good hiding place now, believe me. Thank you for your concern and thanks everybody for your input. I'm glad I found this forum. I'll be coming back I'm sure often. Hopefully not too often, though :)

My husband sells chainsaws. He has seen many expert tree trimmers get hurt and one died.

Don't let him near it! Please.

Keep the chainsaw away from him. I have used a chainsaw many times. Safety is job one. A chainsaw in the wrong hand is deadly. A 77 year old man should not be using one. A chainsaw is very unforgiving........one wrong move can be deadly.

We talked about it earlier this evening and he agreed with me. I'm still keeping the chainsaw hidden, though. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when he was 72! went into a full manic meltdown, oh my goodness i can't believe either one of us lived through that. 10 days in the hospital it took another three weeks for him to come out of it, then he swung the other way. The last five years have been a challenge, then the wreck. He's been balanced for a long time now thankfully. Anyway, the wreck really took a lot out of him. I think he's coming to terms with it finally. He'll never be the same but he likes to write and that's at least a safe alternative to the physical work he once did.

My dad who had dementia wanted to go hunting...my mother let him....I personally think she was hoping he would get lost and not come back..but he found his way home,came into the living room and blew a hole right through the floor.YUP.My sister and I snuck in and took all his guns.We had to keep him safe.But Your dad needs something to do,perhaps some easier outside jobs??

He secretly I might add took it out under a stand of dead trees that needs to come down. I bought myself an electric 16" chainsaw, it's very worthy, just as powerful but lighter and corded, so ALL of the cords were attached and he just left it out there. I think he ran out of steam before he could even figure out how to use it. It's hidden, I gave him the lecture. Years ago, he used to cut and I'd pick up the logs and drag the brush. Now we'll trade places. It's just the way it is. I've made it crystal clear.

Can you find out what he planned to do with it, Maybe he was just checking the oil for you. you know men always think us women can't take care of anything mechanical. I take it that the tremors are from the accident not Parkinsons or dementia. As you are familiar with the chainsaw just remove the chain and tell him you have sent it to be sharpened. Maybe his job could be to stack the wood and bring it into the house.

It's my chainsaw. I'm 20 years younger, we live on 10 wooded acres. Lately he's been writing books, he even got one published. It's a very difficult situation, but we still enjoy being together. Pushing my physical limit keeps me psychologically balanced but he sees me doing all of this manual labor and well you know... His judgment is VERY poor. I'm going to take Orangeblossom's suggestion not to get rid of it, but to let him know I'm not happy with his lack of judgment. Thank you all.

Hide it!

Forget the "suggestions". Simply get rid of it!! Make it disappear, give it to a neighbor, sell it, whatever it takes. And if your husband makes a fuss, let him know in no uncertain terms that you are NOT happy with HIS poor judgement. he has no right to jeaopardize himself in his condition, nor does he have the right to cause you undue worry and concern. Sounds like he is accident waiting to happen. Please, if you have not taken the upper hand with this situation, it is time to do so now.