Husband with dementia has developed a dislike for white cars.

My Hubby of 93 has developed a dislike for white cars - no matter the make or model. So, I thought it was just one of the quirks of dementia. I was talking to a friend today, who also cares for a dementia patient, and she mentioned how her person has a dislike for white cars also. Is this a pattern of dementia? The two dementia patients have no interaction with each other. Funny and interesting.

7

Answers

The way it was explained to me by the doctor and pt is that the color white has to do with depth perception which causes a person to feel unsafe. Since a car would have the background of air which is invisible, the lack of color in white could confuse the person. I know with my exes father, he started hating vanilla ice cream when it was in a white bowl because he couldnt see it properly. When I bought some cheap colored plastic bowls, he liked it again.

Police cars here are black and whites. Oh, Sendme2help, Hubby SEES the cars. Maybe something in his past as he did work for Law Enforcement. Just strange & kinda funny how two people are aware of the same thing. And those two people don't even know each other.

Men are color blind, and white is not a color.
Maybe they can't see them?

08/22/16...... Police cars are mostly white. Or maybe white cars in relationship to the white coats that doctors wear.

White hearses were once exclusively used for children. Today white caskets are used for children. Very understandable.

Out here ambulances are white and EMT vans are red.

Funny and interesting. I hadn't heard that before.

Ambulances and EMT vans are usually white. I wonder if that is related.